Ants in Odyssey ECU

Please help!!! Has anyone heard of ants eating out the ECU of an Odyssey or any other make of Honda for that matter. My ECU was found to be "ant infested" as stated by a Honda service centre themselves. My research is telling me that there is a glue used inside the ECU which is attracting these ants. I need to find proof of this. Can anyone help.

Bugs and vermin will get into any stationary vehicle. The longer you let it sit the more pests you might have. Just clean them out and go. If the ecu was damaged replace it and be sure to not let your vehicle sit without being driven. You might want to sprinkle a little ant powder around your driveway or garage as well. Might not hut to put a little under your floor mats either. Make sure your backseat isn't full of old french fries and the like.

Thanks for your reply Xeryon, my car has had its ECU replaced back in May because it stopped working for what ever reason, (my car was 7 yrs old at that stage without incident, without ants, without vermin and kept immaculate. It was driven everyday and kept on the same property in that time) Now this new ECU was only 2 months old when this occured. I believe the manufacturers of this unit in Japan are using a different glue inside which are attracting these ants. I have read posts from others on different forums who say this. I am trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else. Yes you are right, ants and vermin can get in, but if a part of the car, the ECU in this regard is that susseptible to damage then the manufacturers have a duty of care to provide a product that cannot be damaged by this vermin. Think about, ants are attracted to food, Why the ECU, whats in there attracting them?

Ants are also attracted to any quiet and secure location. The physical enclosure of the ECU is an excellent house. And the ECU is constantly engaged in your car so it generates a small amount of heat. Just enough to be nice and cozy. The adhesives might be an attractant but ants don't normally build a house in their food supply.

I would think you should be able to talk your way into a warranty replacement on the part if you speak directly to Honda parts. I am dubious that the dealer would extend to you a concession on the repair.

Archived