99 Civic stalling--bad torque--possible tranny issue?

LostNhonda3rd

Hi,

I just got a new honda today. It's was all cool at first but later on in the day I noticed that it kind of stalls when pressing the gas pedal. My old honda used to have much more torque when pressing gas.

Is this an indicatoin of tranny failure or somthing, does anyone have any idea if this is a model issue or a mechanical issue (I sure hope not! I bought a new car so that I WOULDNT have issues with it!!! not the other way around.) please help!! anyone?

You may have a bad idle air control valve. As the air control valve becomes increasingly clogged, the engine RPMs, while idling, will continue to drop until the vehicle stalls. This problem can usually be identified by applying the gas. When the vehicle is about to stall, pressing the accelerator will cause the RPMs to increase and will keep the car running. If the pedal is released, the RPMs will quickly drop, and the vehicle will stall. Sometimes, depending on how badly the idle air control valve is clogged, the vehicle may run correctly when the accelerator is pressed, but then sputter or stall when decelerating. If you do need to replace your idle control valve this site looks like it has cheap prices, free shipping and great reviews http://www.buyautoparts.com/idle-control-valve.html

You are always so serious.

The OP didn't give nearly enough information to make a judgement on but if I had to guess a clogged exhaust, specifically a clogged catalytic converter, might give a similar symptom as he/she described.

• 9 months later...

I have extremely low torque in my 94 with a d15b swap that I just bought and my cat was glowing red after some testing and tuning so I gutted it and it still doesn't have what it should and I have replaced almost everything I can think

Archived