91 has no power

Devin Helland

I bought a a 91 and i am trying to get it runnig. The battery was bad an the negative battery cable was curroded i changed those but the car still doesn't have any power. There is a wire labeled power + 12V it runs from the outside fuse box through the firewall and ends near the inside fuse box but is not connected to anything and i could not find a spot where it should connect. Please help!!!!

Go buy a meter, if money is tight go buy a probe light.

Check all your fuses.

What gauge is the wire and what type of connector is on the end inside your car? I have a feeling this is a power line for an amplifier.

so found out why it has no power the past owner had a wire that was taken off the outside fuse box. found where it attaches to the fuse box not sure where it goes but i think it conects ro the starter solenoid am i right or wrong i dont want to hook it up wrong and break something else.

by the way if i touch this wire to the positive battery terminaal i can start the car and use the radio and other electric components. the problem with that is the electric components stay on with no key so i cant just put it on the terminal that is why i think it goes to the starter solenoid. oh and you were right that other wire was a spare for the amp

That wire you're holding connects to the starter motor. You called it the starter solenoid, but the solenoid is powered by a much smaller wire; that big wire is motor pos, the motor housing is ground via the transmission and that smallish ground wire/strap you see near the shift selector on the transmission.

Okay, so you solved the no-power problem. Lights are supposed to have power without key in the igniton. Stereo power depends on who wired it, unless it is stock. What other systems have power with the key out?

What did you find with your meter?

Archived