multiple problems with shifter and brake lights

Jreyes73

I have a 95 Honda Accord non vtec. The problem I have now is that when you press the brakes the brake lights will not turn on. Also now in order to shift from park to drive etc.. I must place the key in the shift unlock in order to change gears. I have replaced the brake switch, checked all the fuses and still nothing. All the wiring that I looked at looks good. Has anyone encountered this problem? and if so how did you fix it.

Try beeping your horn. Its on the same circuit and would indicate an issue in the Brake/Horn circuit.

Did you recheck with a multimeter?

The shift lock solenoid in under the selector may have become disconnected. Look up instructions on removingthe center consol and then go from there.

Try beeping your horn. Its on the same circuit and would indicate an issue in the Brake/Horn circuit.

Did you recheck with a multimeter?

The shift lock solenoid in under the selector may have become disconnected. Look up instructions on removingthe center consol and then go from there.

I have not checked with a multimeter but never occurred to me to check the horn and yes it does not work either...

If the horn doesn't work then you don't have power on the horn/brake circuit.

Recheck the circuit again with a meter this time. Fuse to ground, you'll find your problem somewhere in between.

thank you for your help

Archived