2001 Honda Accord LX Shift Problem

jarod.perry

Hey there. I'm a total noob when it comes to cars. I recently bought a 2001 Honda Accord LX from a second hand dealership. I got ripped off, as it has a gas leak and transmission fluid leak. But it still drives. However, recently, after a snow storm in Montreal, the D4 light began flashing. Basically, when I drive it for the first time in the day, it'll rev really high, and will have trouble getting into the first gear. When it does, the D4 light flashes, and I have to stop the car, and start it again, and then it'll kinda shift normally for the rest of the day. I had some friends check it out. They found that one of the transmission solenoids was broken. Solenoid B, I believe. The single solenoid with the black connector. So I replaced that, but I still have the same issue. It also needs an oxygen sensor, which is being fixed in the next couple days. I've had it hooked up to a trouble code computer, and got the trouble codes for "torque converter clutch circuit", and "shift error", and "incorrect gear ratio". I've read that these issues could be caused by a TCM failure. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice, or knows what the issue could be. I don't think the transmission is broken, because after it warms up, it drives fine. It's just getting into the first gears at the beginning of the day. It has some issues. So I think it might be something electrical. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

It could be Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection. If so, the transmission will not shift gears. The torque converter clutch solenoid valve switches the hydraulic circuit to engage/disengage the torque converter clutch. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is turned ON, hydraulic pressure is applied to the torque converter clutch. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is turned OFF, hydraulic pressure to the torque converter clutch is interrupted. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the torque converter clutch solenoid valve. The driver circuit has a diagnostic function that detects and outputs the state of a short or open circuit, and sends a return signal to the PCM. If the return signal during the PCMs command is not appropriate, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC. For shift error, the possible things are low or dirty transmission fluid, faulty shift solenoid 'A' valve, shift solenoid 'A' valve harness or connectors or shift solenoid 'A' valve circuit is open or shorted. The incorrect gear ratio code is caused by a slipping transmission. A slipping transmission is a failing transmission. Unfortunately, the only fix is to replace the transmission with a used or rebuilt unit.

I don't want to give you false hope, but you are not alone in your 98-02 Accord transmission problems. Whether the dealership ripped you off or not concerning this isn't as much of a factor as ALL Accords of this generation have a higher than desirable transmission failure rate. As a shot in the dark you may want to contact your local Honda Service Garage and inquire if there are still any open recalls or service bulletins that may apply/help you with this issue. I don't know the mileage or the service history for this car but stranger things have happened. Given the high rates of failure be wary of second-hand transmissions. Your car isn't the only Accord being posted about with a trans explosion in the last couple days. There have been several and a couple peoples junk-yard transmissions died on them shortly after as well.

Archived