On a Honda that isn't a race car a 'chipped' ECU is a pointless modification. It allows you to modify fuel cutout and vtec engagement timing, among other things. All of which shouldn't be messed with unless you have performed substantial modification to the cars engine resulting in considerably more power being produced (I.E. turbo or fully machined N/A build) Anything else you could possibly bolt onto the car: exhaust, intake etc will not cause a need for the ECU to be reprogrammed.

Well, in that case you would want a chipped ECU so that the car could be properly tuned. Next check is to find out if previous owner has had the car professionally tuned or was just winging it.

Sure base is probably fine. I wouldn't go balls to the wall racing but you aren't likely to kill anything that wouldn't have blown up anyway. A lot of people never get their car tuned after a turbo. Not saying it is the right thing to do, just noting that it is what a lot of people do.

• 2 months later...

Chipped ecu's typically are tuned with Crome. Crome is garbage. Junk. And should not be used by anyone in my opinion. You want a boosted Honda , buy a hondata S300. Do it right. People that put thousands into their cars and than cheap out on the most important part of the puzzle baffle me.

Running you multi 1000's investment with a 25cent chip from radio shack is not the way to roll.

Archived