96 honda accord ex,,no blinkers

woody31

my accord has a issue,,,the blinkers have stopped working,,last winter i noticed the right blinker would not blink till the car warmed up or after i drove it a lil bit,,now they quit altogether,,any ideas what could cause this,,they dont even ght up on the dash or outside,,nothing,,,thanks for your time and replies

Often it's just dead/old bulbs. Check your fuses and try new bulbs and clean the sockets of accumulated corrosion before moving onto anything more complicated.

If I offer a suggestion to a problem you cannot solve why would you second guess me?

Check fuses

Replace bulbs and clean bulb sockets

If the socket or bulb base is corroded and not making a proper contact you get the exact problem you mentioned: slowly diminishing bulb function until one day it stops working completely.

ok i understand your theory,,but why would that keep the dash light from coming on,,sounds to me it may be a relay,,all other lights function as they should,,same bulb is for tail and stop lights,, so i have to second guess your diagnosis,,no offense intended i thank you for your time and reply,,ill go pull the rear pass,side tail light for a look see,,i will report my findings in a few minutes ,,thanks

edit,,i located the relay,,it controls both hazard and blinkers,,why would the hazards flash,,but the blinkers wouldnt blink,,they use the same bulbs,,so that eliminates the bulbs,,i pulled the relay and of course both stopped,,put it back in and hazards work but no blinkers,,then they started working again,,could it be one side or relay controls hazards and other side controls blinkers??

gonna call o rielly and see if they have one,,,thanks

Normally a clean connection to the bulb base is required for the blinker to function on your dash. In most cars if you pull the bulb out completely it breaks that circuit and the dash light doesn't blink. Your dash light would continue blinking even with a dead bulb as the circuit is still complete. A corroded base insulates the bulb and prevents completing the circuit. That is what lead to that diagnosis.

That your hazards work, which use the same circuitry and bulbs is peculiar. Leads toward the switch on the column being suspect too

yes i was hoping it is not the switch,,i was able to swap the relay and it seems to work ok as of now,,,now on to the next issue,,,abs light..i will make a new thread for that,,thanks for your time and replies,,,cheers

Archived