Breaking in my 2013 Honda Civic

MichelleT

Hello, all! New Honda driver here, looking for some advice.

I bought a new 2013 Honda Civic about an hour ago (yay!), and I was wondering about breaking it in. I know the general rules, such as going easy on the engine, not driving at consistent speeds, etc., but I was wondering if there are some Honda specifics I should know about. I can't find anything about it in the owner's manual.

In addition, I'm wondering about the oil. I've heard some say that with new cars, you should get very frequent changes almost immediately, but others say the Honda factory oil should stay in for a few thousand miles. The idea of going more than 3000 miles without an oil change rubs me the wrong way...

Any help would be appreciated!

Straight up follow what is in the manual as far as service intervals. Most brand new cars do not need oil every 3k. 3k was a fail-safe for improperly maintained older vehicles. You can do 3k changes if it makes you feel better. It's not like it costs a lot of money in proportion to the value of the car.

If you feel inclined ask to speak to the factory service department manager and ask for his official recommendation.

Archived