96 accord. all cylinders misfiring and starting problems

Screggie88

96 accord lx 2.2 lt.

I bought the car about 2 months ago and the check engine came on.i took the car to auto zone and the device gave codes saying all 4 cylinders were miss firing.i started with the spark plugs and discovered oil on them.i decided to change the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals to see if that would help and an oil change. so would the oily spark plugs cause the cylinders to misfire? Am i going in the direction im kinda a beginner..what else could be going on?

Change the spark plugs. Many times, a fouled plug or two can cause a misfire in the engine. Inspect and change the spark plug wires if necessary. When spark plug wires are routed from the distributor to the cylinders, it is very important that they do not physically touch each other. This could result in a phenomenon known as "crossfire", whereby the electricity flowing through one plug wire could actually "cross" into the adjacent wire, causing the engine to misfire. If they are all separated and appear fine, it could be time to replace them with a new set.

It's not a phenomena, it's called induced current and there's nothing phenomenal about it. Everything from rail guns, electrical toothbrushes, to car speakers use induced currents, so hardly a phenomenon. Honda uses small plastic brackets to keep the wires separate for a reason, and where the wires cannot be separated they wrap the wire in additional insulation.

If you think induced currents are amazing, you ought to check out radio frequency noise and electronic sources of it. Then apply what you learn to the engine bay. Didn't know your motor's high amperage electronic components produced so much interference?

ok a, I'll check the wires and see if they need to be replaced. is there way to clean inside the spark plug holes?? it's also been having idoling issues and trouble starting every once in awhile. could the cylinders misfiring cause that as well?

Yes but that's not very helpful. A misfire code is like a sneeze. You don't know if you got a cold, allergies, flu, sinus infection, dust, pollen, etc. You just know you sneezed.

So, fix the idling issue and any other problems you can identify. Then see if the misfire is still around.

Edit: clean the spark plug hole with paper towel, don't make things harder than they need to be.

Archived