Air box mods!

I just want to add a little more horses to my Honda Accord 91 SE by doing air box mods.

I am unable to find any mods for 90-93. Any one has suggestion on how to do it?

Note: I don't want to spend $$$ for CAI so air box mods is the only option.

I am appreciated your help!

All you have to do is take off the air box, pull out all the pipes going to the airbox (leave the tube that goes from the box to the motor) and discard them. Either keep your stock filter or get a Mean Green drop in or K&N drop in. Then put your airbox back in and connect the pipe that goes to the motor. You'll have some open holes on your box and it will act as a short ram intake. It may sound ghetto but it the sound it makes under throttle is worth it. Don't worry you'll also get some power gains to since the air intake isn't so damn restricted.

If you need me to elaborate a little more let me know.

joecollins2, thanks for the help.

Removed one of the hose (the lower one) and I discovered something very interesting: at the begining of this air hose, there is a small air vent (powered by vaccum). It is always close unless the rpm went above 3500. What is the purpose of the vent (close and open) beside restrict the air?

I also dropped in a K&N filter.

My car is much powerful now (yes, it is noticable) especially at higher rpm and high speed (70mph+). only TWO draw back:

-much louder under the hood

-slow pick up. (don't know why)

Does this mod give me higher MPG beside horses?

Thanks!

1. You're bullcrapting about noticable power. I'd say you gained yourself a whopping.5-1whp.

2. The purpose of the vent is to take in more air.

3. Slow pick up = it wasn't designed to be modded like that.

4. No, it worsend your mileage.

I don't know about the worsening. Like I said people I know have done that and it actaully made a difference in the MPG. There honestly is a noticable difference in power, however it probably isn't as drastic as it feels.

Yes, it's louder but that's because that box is right under your hood sucking in air. If you notice it sounds a lot like a short ram intake!

If that did anything it helped more than the little bit it may have hurt. Honestly it's the same as going out and buying a shirt ram so you saved yourself about $150!!!

With my SiR I simply took out the resonator , which resritcts a hella lotta air flow .... just by taking that off, there is a deeper tone to the engine and I can tell the engine sucks in more air than before. Im not saying I gained crap, but it sure sounds better, especially when you hit V-tec huh

ps. Thats a nice black Si / SiR in the above pic :D

Hey you can always make an intake out of PVC pipe. Measure it out, go to the hardware store, and buy what you need then go buy a cone filter and the rubber couplings. I know it sounds ghetto as crap but I've seen it done before and as mentioned above that's one of the benefits of a CAI is that the tubing isn't ribbed.

If you want to be really ghetto you can do what I did with my del sol. I replaced the tube that goes between your air box and your throttle body with some 3 in. diameter aluminun air ducts. I bought two 90 degree adjustable air ducts and I drill a hole where the little tube connects to the manifold. And about the miles per gallons it only worsens it when you push the gas all the way in. If you drive regular it should affect it at all.

Archived