88 honda civic stalling issue

blindangel

New here.

I got an 88 honda civic lx with the 1.5l engine it's been stalling out, at first it was just occasionally when i was driving steady at 60mph or so then started doing it when id slow down or sitting idleing it would come down to about 1k rpm and then either stay steady or stall, then it started not wanting to start id have to cycle the key several times to let the fuel pump run then it would start. I replaced the relay under the dash and fuel pump both so far and it is running better but still stalling when coming to a stop it trys to keep running but the idle slowly dies out. But if it sits idling it is fine does not stall at all and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to check next?

There are numerous threads written by far more articulate individuals on inspecting and or replacing the ignition combination switch, it sits behind the ignition key cylinder.

I can only suggest rechecking for vacuum leaks and or intake leaks. However you checked for leaks, gauge or brake cleaner, just try and move the hoses a bit while searching. Sometimes, a leak can be hidden until moved around.

I guess so, however unlikely. Removing the intake tube and dual point injection assembly would reveal more. If there is an obstruction, remove the intake manifold and clean it along with the EGR Valve and EGR Tube, just cause it would be convenient at that point.

Okay, so I cannot stick my head under your hood from over here so I'm going to let this be your call. If there's so much oil in the intake you suspect it to be source of your troubles, who am I to say your wrong; you're there, I'm not. However, I can say oil by itself shouldn't be the cause of your troubles unless we're talking about a motor swimming* in oil. Really, it could be a sign of another problem either directly or tangentially related to the current issue.

* I knew a girl who put oil in her car until it came out of the top, that was about 2 or 3 gallons of oil.

Having said that, go ahead and remove the intake and clean it. Then investigate why the the oil got there to begin with. You'll probably do best to dismantle the intake and have it hot-tanked at your local machine shop.

Checked into it it looked like whoever had last oiled the k&n just put it inplace and sprayed the crap outta it, gonna take it apart and check further down the intake and such. Never smoked so i doubt that had anything to do with it. From the best i can tell it acts like its a fuel or electrical issue.

Yeah the oily look was just in the airbox the tube and further were clean. It just is frustraiting the hell outta me its like it cuts out like no fuel is getting to it and sometimes when you try to start it back up it will start but acts like its only running on half the cylinders other times it runs ok, ocasionally does that also when it starts to stall and im just kinda lost on it. Might check the cap and rotor and such. but beyond that im lost with efi. Unfortunately i cant afford to take it to a mechanic due to being on disability and only barely being able to scrape by.

Archived