2003 Accord V6 Start problems

tsoumilas

i am having some new issues with starting my 2003 Honda Accord V6. It all started one day when I went to start my car and nothing happened. The lights, A/C, Radio, etc were functioning just fine but the engine would not turn over. No clicking, no tapping no sound whatsoever. I had it towed to a repair shop and they tested the started (which passed) and the battery which was old but not showing it was bad. They noted there was corrosion on the battery terminals and after cleaning that the car was able to start. Great. Now when I attempt to start my car it is very rough and often i have to press on the gas pedal to get the car to start. Once started the car runs smooth. I have done some preliminary minor things such as replaced battery and tried to find a pattern which is very difficult.

When the A/C, and all accessories are turned off I am able to start the car easier but it is still not a good healthy start...it sputters but stays started. If the engine is cold it tends to start more often than if the engine is hot.

The car has 115,000 miles on it and the spark plugs have not been changed. I guess that would be my next step but i dont feel this will fix the problem.

i have added gas additive (1x so far) to a tank of gas to see if that fixes the problem but the issue continues.

Once in a blue moon i will turn the key and as described above, all lights, accessories, etc turn on but the engine does nothing. I then turn the key back and turn it on again and it starts (with sputtering and a little help from my pressing on the gas pedal).

Is there something else I should be checking?

Thanks in advance,

Theo

The primary general check is as follows:

1. test battery and make sure the cables are on good.

2. check the fuel pressure

3. clean the throttle body and the IACV.

The secondary checks are as follow:

1. check for low compression

2. check intake for leaks

3. is fuel contaminated

4. weak spark (you should change out the platnum plugs)

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived