timing belt service on 1998 LX

openallnight

Hi,

I have a 1998 LX with 107K miles on it and i am contemplating timing belt service. Both Honda dealers close to where I live are saying that tensioners are not replaced for a Civic but only for V6 accords, pilots and oddeseys. Is that true? Anywhere i read on the internet i see people saying that tensioners need to be replaced with timing belt.

Any advice?

thanks

Tensioners are replaced because it is a $30 part underneath of a $600 labor disassembly. It's usually done not because it needs to be done but if you have to do it later you will want to shoot yourself.

if you do the timing belt you should always replace the tentioner if its already apart y screw around and risk not doin it and than your right back where you started because if the tensioner goes 9 times out of10 youll have to replace the belt again and spend even more money than you should have to

• 1 month later...

Holding the cam with a tool is pointless: remove spark plugs and it spins free, set to TDC.

Make sure if you do a timing belt you get this tool: SP Tools P/N 11500. This tool is a must and will make the job alot easier.

I think my ek is due for a timing belt, as it's done 220,000 kms, is there an easy way of telling its been done before or not? And I think it needs a front main seal, slight leak... Is it an easyish job? I've been told its nearly an engine out procedure.... Cheers

Easy is subjective: so, easy for me, maybe for you. It is definitely NOT an engine out procedure. Honda does not design their engine bays so that you have to remove the engine for seals and such. I have a Toyota MR2 and that car has several things that can only be done with engine out even though you don't do anything with the engine:

1. Clutch: MR2 engine+transmission out, Honda engine stays transmission out

2. Rear main seal: MR2 engine+transmission out, Honda engine stays transmission out

3. Cam and Crank seals: MR2 cam seal engine stays, crank seal engine out, Honda engine stays for both.

So, what you propose is easy in that the engine and transmission can stay put.

Unless someone wrote on the belt when they changed it, your guess is as good as mine.

I think my ek is due for a timing belt, as it's done 220,000 kms, is there an easy way of telling its been done before or not? And I think it needs a front main seal, slight leak... Is it an easyish job? I've been told its nearly an engine out procedure.... Cheers

it's easier to do with engine out but not necessary. remove crank pulley and the seal is easily accessible.

to gain easier access, lower (loosen) the drivers side motor mount.

Archived