Help!

Seannolin

Hello everyone, I drive a 97 civic and lately when I make A right turn I can hear a single loud pop, same thing happens when I'm parked and turn the wheel right. When this happens it also puts the steering wheel out of place like If the steering wheel is straight like after an alignment, it will turn sideways after the pop then upside down etc. a friend suggested it was the tie rod end but I would like some more opinions, appreciate all the help fellows !

Typically tie rod ends don't make noises. Not that they can not, they just usually don't. As a general rule of thumb a single pop is an indicator of a damaged ball joint. It is not recommended to drive when the ball joint is failing. If it breaks completely when you are driving it may cause you to crash or at the very least heavily damage your car.

Tie rods that are damaged usually have the symptom of the car tracking wherever it feels like when you are driving straight. When you go into a turn you would need to be making constant adjustments to the wheel to keep on track to maintain your direction.

Repeated popping or clicking, particularly in a turn, is a common sign of a damage axle/cv shaft/half-shaft (all the same) depending on your preference. Although, it sometimes occurs as only a single pop, but you wouldn't get the sudden change in car direction or steering wheel position with a damaged axle.

Repeated popping or clicking, particularly in a turn, is a common sign of a damage axle/cv shaft/half-shaft (all the same) depending on your preference. Although, it sometimes occurs as only a single pop, but you wouldn't get the sudden change in car direction or steering wheel position with a damaged axle.

the axle can also make a continuous clunking noise while driving and turning.. thats what the sol did when i would have a broken axles and the waovan does it now..

but im completely with xeryon, sounds like a balljoint problem.. if you ask me i would replace both axles, your ball joints, and tie rod ends just to be safe and be sure that you fixed the problem..

Not likely. The symptoms of that problem might be groaning/grinding when turning, excess play in the steering wheel but the car tracks properly during turns.

Archived