My car has a hole in it!

hobthebob

Hey all,

I got a very nice del sol recently, and since I've had it (which is all of 5 months) I have had to take it into the shop twice. Most recently though it broke down on the highway. When I went to look at the engine compartment and see if there was anything visibly wrong, I noticed a very large hole beneath my engine.

Can anyone tell me what part of my car has the hole in it? I don't know very much about engines...http://s143.photobuc...rrent=Mycar.jpg

Also, it's an automatic.

Your picture is pretty bad but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you put a rod through the block.

One of those things that happens when you are running a Honda engine with 500hp and a turbo,..... or not enough oil. It can happen for other reasons too, though. Improper lubrication is a frequent cause for that.

Thanks for your help. I looked that up, and other people have holes in the same exact spot with the problem you outlined. Honestly though, lubrication was seemingly fine, the oil level was good, and engine temp was below midlevel. The car is stock 94 s engine rebuilt, but the car has been lowered....

I wonder if all that bottoming out on big bumps did some serious damage and it just fell apart?

Anyway It's up for sale. I need to change the description to say "hole in the block" but if anyone wants it, here it is!

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=95517261&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20017%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22337%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D07026%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=3

A piston rod blew a hole in the engine block, and I dont have the money to fix the car right now. I hate to get rid of my baby, but Im going to college, and I need to save money. Otherwise the car is in excellent shape mechanically. Does not leak or burn oil, runs clean with no smoke

You have some explaining to do here. :crazy:

Your picture is pretty bad but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you put a rod through the block.

One of those things that happens when you are running a Honda engine with 500hp and a turbo,..... or not enough oil. It can happen for other reasons too, though. Improper lubrication is a frequent cause for that.

hmmmm.. are you referring to me? :dry:

Well it's true. When it DID run, it ran without smoke. I guess I'll have to change that now that it looks like the engine is screwed! Thanks for the help. I don't really think about that, and anyone that knows about cars would be like, huh? But I checked the dipstick and it says there's plenty of oil. I just recently had a valve cover gasket replaced, and a full tune up, so I'm just surprised it broke like that.

"The body is rust free and was recently given a new paint job. There are however a couple small bubbles in the paint near the rear wheel wells,..."

The body isn't rust free if rust is eating through the rear quarter panel under the paint; look up "Honda cancer", you have it.

Good luck with the sale, someone will enjoy it.

Archived