98 civic owner looking for a push in the right direction

kylerk6

Hey there. I have a bone stock 98 civic lx with the 1.6 (not sure which engine) and i was wondering if anyone could give me a layout of exactly what i should be doing in order to bring my car from poor slow sad to i am proud of it. It is a 5 speed, and i really just want to put as much as i can into it without having to change the body up... i know engine work, never done swaps but i am looking to get an opinions of those who know what they are doing to see if whether throwing thousands of dollars of parts at the engine i have currently would do the trick, or if starting an engine swap would be better and where to go from there... thank you all for your help and any parts or anything that you recommend i look at would also be appreciated. thanks for the help guys, i hope to hear from ya! i am super excited about this project!

Buy a nicer car.

Oh, and it's kind of hard getting in the mood to help you with anything if you can't be pissed to take 30 seconds to figure out what engine your car has in it. It really motivates me to spend a lot of time and effort on my end, ya know?

it is a d16y7

i looked at it after i had posted this, internet was just acting up. and although i love the sarcasm, i am really looking to pick someones brain, and i guess that would be the first thing i needed to learn is to know the stuff i already have, so thank you much for that.

Anytime. I am full of positive energy that I love to share with everyone.

I knew which engine you had. Just trying to push the buttons to make sure you weren't like 99% of people that make that same post: people that are far too lazy to do any work themselves and expect random people on the internet to do all the hard work for them.

no no i understand. i bet it is annoying reading posts like mine. i apologize. this is just my first project on a Japanese car. i know i cant get a ten second car without fabricating the body of my car, but i do want to be at maybe 14 to 12? if that is realistic. im just wondering as a first time if i should be just throwing parts at it or if i should do an engine swap. there are many articles saying the d16 could be pushed with all performance parts on it, but ive also read it was a waste of money.

Everything you do to a car aside from OEM repairs is a waste of money. Don't let other peoples negativity get in the way of your fun.

Three ways to do this:

N/A build your D

Boost your D

Swap.

If you want quick bang for buck right now put together a bolt on turbo as-is. You'll probably blow it soon enough, but it will hold together with 6-8 lbs for a while. If you ebay/craigslist the parts you could push 50+ hp through that beast for a few hundred.

You could build it with decent parts and boost it, sky's the limit but you are talking a chunk of change to do it well

You can do a n/a build - high comp pistons and machine work. Couple people floating around here that are putting 150's to the pavement on a naturally aspirated 1.6l sohc without sinking significant money.

swap has the greatest long term potential. you are going to spend some coin initially but will have a nice platform to build from. b18c1 or c5, GSR or Type R engines make respectable power out of the box and boost and tune really well up to 500hp without mortgaging the house. reliability goes out the window though.

with getting the swap to b18c1 or c5, GSR or type r, would there be any changes to the frame at all, or would it just take some making new mounts, or would i be able to use OEM mounts on them? i was also reading that lots of people go towards the b16 type motor?

and also, what do you mean by reliability will go out the window with swapping the engine?

Hello I been reading all the post here I suggest if you want really past just change your engine for B-Series engine or just buy a new car with a swap b-series already and if your engine is only D-Series don't put any turbos is just a waste of money..just put some headers,cold air ,fuel rail for some kickin.....if your thinking swapping your engine I suggest buy a new one coz it's the same cost ...no more problem and just a headache..just be patience lotsa people selling cheap cars now a days.....eeeeeeiiiighhhtytt.

with getting the swap to b18c1 or c5, GSR or type r, would there be any changes to the frame at all, or would it just take some making new mounts, or would i be able to use OEM mounts on them? i was also reading that lots of people go towards the b16 type motor?

and also, what do you mean by reliability will go out the window with swapping the engine?

Shouldn't be any changes to the frame, just new mounts, hasport makes them.

To get a better idea for these engines and swaps, check out hmotorsonline.com. They have a huge selection and really great feedback among the honda community.

i dont want to buy another car. i have little space as it is. my fiances pissed im taking up the whole garage as it is lol. but that hmotorsonline.com is awesome! prices i guess only show that they have everything in them already, which takes out my problems, although i would like to build one from the ground up. my next question before going further is, what engine would work better with a turbo, or is there no difference. because although the b18c has lots of power to start with, if i cant push it further for long lasting results, then there is no point, but if i could push a b16a it would save me money just to achieve the power that the b18 has?

Just get any kind of b-series ...get the non v-TEC so you will save some money coz vtec conversion kit is cheap rather than buying the b-series w/vTEC and no need to change the mount .it fits.....eeeighhht ....let me know if you wanna sell your d-series engine if your not far from me I will buy it to you thanks ...

Don't listen to random new dude forum posting like it's a text message.

I meant if you boost a B to 500 hp your reliability will go out the window.

If you have the money and want to go far the b18c route is the way to go. It's not original, but there is a ton of parts and support for doing it. It requires a lot less modification then you would expect. No alterations to the car itself. Just bolt on stuff. If money has you limited there is a lot you can do without dropping 3k on a motor. Let us know your budget.

Your keyboard has 104 keys. Please use them accordingly.

A b20 in a hatch is respectable even if you never do another thing to it aside from stock. You should grab some pictures and open a new thread to share them.

wellllllll... if you want my advice you could always go my route.. 2k for B18C1 + $8k = 511whp @ 13psi on 91 pumpgas..

and you dont have to custom mod anything minus your bumper to fit the intercooler and tabs welded to rad support and rad stay to mount intercooler.. because if you want that kind of power youll have to go with a huge FMIC.. oh and youll have to get rid of your a/c, big boosted hondas + a/c = no workey..

so 10k can get you a fully built, sleeved, boosted, and tuned GSR swap in your civic.. youll just have to start looking around at shops to find parts to buy if youre building yourself or order from well known shops online

but buddy put a 14.7 down at the track with a b18c5 in an integra with wheel hop. its got an intake, header and exhaust. so it can get into the 14s pretty easy for about 5k. now, you will want suspension to back up that power. i always recommend to do suspension first. possible a brake upgrade depending on the final use of the car.

gx2 or the agx? either is not bad, i have full body skunk2s on my civic right now, my del sol has the AGXs with tokico springs. and the tokicos ride really smooth, the skank2s are rough but good for track. my buddy has ground controls on his car and there is a good medium...

To each their own, sir.

Technically speaking, any money spent on a car is irresponsible and dumb. You have legs and they are free. Just go talk to the Amish and they will tell you how usefull your car is.

I J requires no custom fabrication to install, just money if that is how you roll. To pay someone to do it would likely run in the 5-6k range as Stock, DIY clsoer to the 2.5-3k range.

A b18 of some variety will net you some fun and allow you to build it more in the future if you want to go more. You won't have to mortgage the house to do it either. If you do it yourself the cost is reasonable and comparable to having a stock motor replaced at many engine replacements shops.

Archived