88 CRX liftgate struts issue

trojwl

Everyone knows that the 88 CRX has a few unique "quirks". It was the first year of the new body style and then in 1989 they started making them at another plant. One of thes quirks is the unique bolt hole pattern of the seat rails into the floorboard.

Another is apparently the upper attach points of the liftgate struts. The 88 has the 10mm ball/socket assembly at both ends. I believe all subsequent CRX's have a bolt at the upper point.

I ordered replacements a few years back from an aftermarket company for my 88 CRX. They came with the correct fittings (i.e. balls on both ends)

I recently ordered some more from a Honda OEM site. These came with the bolt ass'y as opposed to the socket ass'y at the upper point. I immediately returned them. The sales guy told me that Honda had changed something with the part numbers but didn't know anything specific.

I just now went to NAPA and looked at what they had. Their struts also have the wrong upper attach point.

Also, the attachment bolt on the 89 and up models is a 10mm thread. The ball fitting has an 8mm thread. There is no substituting one for the other.

I'm not sure what is going on here. Nothing was altered on my car and the fact that, a few years ago, this was not an issue really baffles me.

Any ideas?

A few years ago your car was not 25 years old either. Places stop making and stocking all the replacement parts after a certain point. You might need to have someone fabricate some 'standard' mounts for you.

I don't think there is any 25 year "barrier" in this case. I have gotten many OEM parts on-line (and recently too) with no out-of-stock issues.

Also, if Honda discontinues an item, it will say so on the parts breakdown. The OEM on-line Honda stores always have ample supplies of these consumable-type parts. I think that as long as people keep buying these parts, they are going to keep having them manufactured.

Basically what it comes down to is that, if it was an up-to-date diagram, and I used the p/n from that diagram, my strut should have had the proper ends.

And the fact that the aftermarket ones I got a coupe years ago had the correct ends kinda hints to me that Honda has made an error. And I do realize how unusual that would be.

I may end up flagging down the next 1988 CRX I see and then ask if they'll let me look at their struts for any Honda part numbers.

• 3 months later...

Go to NAPA. They actually sell two different struts for the 1988 CRX. Look at their pics on line and pick the one you need. You can clearly see the ends in the pics. I also needed ones with the ball socket end. I did this and they work GREAT!

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand from this thread is that 'trojwl' went to a HONDA OEM site and did not get a part number, ordered HONDA parts and recieved same without obtaining a part number (isn't it on the package?!), and recieved the wrong part and rather than getting the correct one was only able to return it.

I got the wrong wiper for my Accord yesterday and walked right back into Honda and told them the bag was opened and someone swapped out my wiper blade with the wrong one. Simple swap.

BTW, the diagram makes it look like you could change the mounting points for the Trunk Strut and use another design.

#16 is 74820-SH2-317 and goes for $80.95 on the eStore, Honda of America's ONLY online store. Other sites are either a dealer which links the web to their stock or a non-dealer doing the same.

SH23B5300A.png

Archived