New girl ;)

Zero

Hello all. I'm new here. New to cars. Name is Kay, and I'm 24. Living on the east coast for now. Just purchased a 2000 Honda Accord Ex V6 Coupe. Nothing has been done to it as of yet, and my knowledge regarding cars is minimal -_-. I'm here to resolve that issue. I'd like to learn everything I can about my car, cars in general, the repairs, modifications, as well as your basic things like changing my own oil etc. I'd also like suggestions on decent modifications to make on my accord--nothing ridiculous. I do plan on replacing the wheels that came with it(previous owner apparently liked curb checking....a lot) with nicer ones, black housing headlights, HIDS(I rather like the 10,000k...not sure if that's not a bit too much glare for oncoming traffic however, thoughts?) intake, chip and perhaps exhaust? Ive heard good things about Borla and Mugen exhaust, but again, I'm just starting out with all of this and would like all the information and suggestions I can get. Please, no rude comments regarding my gender... I get it, I'm a girl, I know nothing about cars. BUT. I am here for a purpose, and that it to learn everything I can. Respect it. ;)

Well, girls are dumb.... epecially sarah :p. I only say that cuz you started on the defence. Ok, now we need to know an amount of money youre want to put towards your car and what you wanna do with the car. Finally any tools you have acces to?

Raley - you're SOO funny

For basic maintenance go to your local auto part store and get a haynes manual.. it goes over basically everything with pictures

If you're on a budget Drag as decent wheels for the price

HID's are eh.. I dont have them.. you can honestly get a GOOD replacement bulb and you'll have plenty of light to see the road

intake and exhaust will open the car up a bit.. never a bad start.. I think chips are BS and would never buy one.. Borla and Mugen have good reps but you'll be paying a good chunk of money for the name

Welcome to the boards!

You will come to find that we are a dysfunctional but loving family here.

You won't receive any rude comments about your gender from me or any other self respecting person on this thread.

You seem to have the right attitude so far, don't throw money at the car and asking a lot of questions isn't a bad idea.

I agree with Sarah that chips are BS.

Intake, header, and exhaust is the basic start to practically any build. It will free up some extra power, make your car sound

better, and improve your gas mileage a little bit. Can't go wrong.

Don't get the HIDs. The aftermarket bulbs tend to burn out to quickly. Get yourself some Silverstar Ultras and call it a day.

Disregard everything quoted in my sig below, they are all lies...

Thanks for the input so far. Haha... I'm likin' the Haynes manual...haha.. I tend to be more of a visual learner XD. Hmm. So I'm getting a very big NO on the HIDS. I'll look into the Silverstar Ultras :). As for how much am I willing to put into the car financially--it all depends. As of right now, I'm going feet first into a divorce. I work two jobs with minimal hours/pay. Ugh. I have been offered a really good job out of state with full benefits etc etc...so if I accept that job, I'm going all out on my car. Which also leads me to another issue. The job offer is in Arizona... I have a black car with black leather seats. I plan on tinting the windows to keep out the sun as much as I can, as well as getting covers for the seats so no one scorches their skin on my leather seats. The car will likely be out in the desert sun all day.. every day.. no shade. Ive heard thats terrible for black cars(i.e paint job)?

that's bad for any car's paint.. just keep it waxed/cleaned and get a car cover if you don't have a garage out there

and if you wear shorts/skirt in summer be careful getting in the car.. you will burn your legs (i know from experience LOL).. make sure you keep a sun shade/screen in the car.. they help a lot

Welcome.

The silverstar ultras are great. Will probably be about $50 for a pair.

If you're gonna change your headlight bulbs, try not to touch the bulb. The oil from your fingers will make them burn out much quicker, just FYI.

Archived