Hurricane Irene

TLontheDL

I'm not one of those people who freaks out about hurricanes. I don't stock up on bread and water and I don't freak out that we'll be without power/water/ etc. after all- we're a few hundred miles inland. We usually just get some high winds and bad rain. The last time a hurricane actually came this far inland was in 97 with Fran. Floyd was only bad because we had a tropical storm come through the week before & the state hadn't had a chance to prepare for the next one. At this point, its mostly just high winds in the triangle- a few areas have power out and ours was flickering early this morning but it doesn't seem to be too bad. The other half the state is flooding, without power with some downed trees, building damage and storm surge. It could be worse.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(and this is why I live in the northwest!)

The NW is not immune to damaging acts of nature. Don't sit there all smug when tomorrow an 8.0 might rock you.

Ohio is in the slight risk category for everything. In my 30 some years I have witnessed damaging tornadoes, a hurricane (remnants), floods, drought, blizzards, earthquakes you name it. In most cases the action is minor and causes minimal damage or such a freaky and rare occurrence that you don't have to worry about it.

As a side note, I do have earthquake insurance on my house. It was really cheap. Ohio actually is in a long quiet fault line region that extends down to St Louis area. The fault down in the St Louis area is pretty active though. They have 4's and 5's yearly.

Dammit you yanks get all the exciting stuff, with weather & natural disasters. All I get is fking drizzly rain, and half an inch of snow a year.

Well why don't you come join us across the pond for a year so you can experience it all. lol.

It's okay Seb. England's had a hurricane before... Michael Fish just couldn't admit it was a hurricane until it was too late. Although, I think you might be a little too young to remember that. And you DO get the hurricanes that hit us... except they're just drizzly rain when they reach you. lol. And honestly... would you want to deal with an earthquake, a hurricane and a flood all in the same week, really?

My house was fine. The river next to it flooded about 6+ feet high.

All the towns around my house got hit pretty hard. All of the bridges connecting them were completely destroyed.

Lots of houses washed away down the "streams." Going to take a long time to get the roads going again.

Archived