HID lights

mgoblue002

Hi all,

I'm looking into installing a pair of HID light kits into my 2004 Accord. I've done a lot of searching and have seen the many price differences. The question I have is what is typically the main differences between the $50 kits and the $100 kits. Also, what are some sites that you guys have had good experiences with? I'm looking at getting 6000k at the max to keep myself safe from getting pulled over. I just want a quality kit that's not gonna cost me an arm and a leg. Thanks for your help!

Steve

Doesn't really matter since it'll look like shi* no matter without an HID projector installed. They'll pull you over for blinding everyone, not because of the color. 4300k-5000k is best.

Suppose I buy a pair of projector headlamps for the car, and then put a $100 pair of HIDs in. How am I lookin now? Thanks for your response, I'm just trying to get all the information I can, I've never messed with HIDs before. If I do it, I want to be able to do it right. If doing it right means going over $250, then I'll just have to put this project to rest. Thanks again!

Suppose I buy a pair of projector headlamps for the car, and then put a $100 pair of HIDs in. How am I lookin now? Thanks for your response, I'm just trying to get all the information I can, I've never messed with HIDs before. If I do it, I want to be able to do it right. If doing it right means going over $250, then I'll just have to put this project to rest. Thanks again!

HID projectors alone will be around that. Doing things right isn't always cheap. Such is the balance of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you ben. For love of god please dont just throw a cheap HID kit on, you'll blind everyone, possibly melt your housings, hell maybe the whole car will catch fire. Do it right and get a retrofit or find headlights with projectors already mounted. it will be less of a hassle for you and you wont kill anyone in the process.

www.theretrofitsource.com

enjoy.

Only way to mess with HIDs

End thread/

Edit: check out hidplanet.com it's a forum dedicated to vehicle lighting. Very informative

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

We been in the car lighting industry for over 10 years.  The key differences from those cheap HIDs and quality ones are the following:

(Based off our own personal experiences, and testing)

1) Brand.  Higher end brands or companys that have been around for some time tend to have higher costs as the parts are trusted by many and quality is usually superb.  Most tenured brands also offer wholesale services so retail costs must be marked up in order to provide a margin for the dealer that is buying.  This is a tactic that most established brands use to grow there business.  The HIDs that you buy from these sources are usually the best to go far as they tend to be what is advertised and usually easier to install.

2) Quality. HIDs need a good ballast.  With the complexity involved in a ballast, using a $20 kit may not be the best idea.  Short cuts are taken on the circuit of the ballast that lead to a world of headaches for short circuits(damages to car harness/wiring), excess of power(causes HID bulb to fail), or temperature spikes that lead to a premature failure(ballast burns out) .  If your car has a lot of labor involved, do not opt for cheap HID kits.  You want to assume you will need to replace a cheap $20 at least 1 time in a year so if its intensive then this can be an inconvenience.

3) The labor required to install.  Low end HIDs tend to lack proper wiring insulation, proper weather seals, and additional components/harnesses/modules needed to bypass a vehicle related system/circuit. The budget friendly lamps may require a little TLC from the installer to cover all aspects of the install in order to ensure the bulb operates correctly for long term use as well as determine whether or not an additional part is required to bypass any codes or problems triggered by the vehicle.

Hoping this helps!

Archived