d17a1 turbo

Hi i have a d17a1 engine (auto) that im looking into turbo charging. I have been told i can do up to 8psi without a tune? So i was thinking about puttin together my own kit with around 5 psi boost. First is this safe for the engine? 2nd would i need a intercooler with 5psi? 3rd are these all the parts i need?

Turbo

oil/coolant lines

charge piping

intercooler (?)

Exhaust manifold

wastegate

down pipe

Also what do i have to do to the ECU?

lastly if you could point me to some good cheap websites it would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Sean2012

problems with your post:

- you have no idea what you talking about

- turbo systems are not defined by 'boost'.. if i run 5 psi with a t25 vs 5 psi with a t88 the requirements/specs of each system would be completely different

- you want to turbo a car by using the cheapest parts you can find.. horrible idea

- depending on the condition of your motor/car this could turn out very badly.. how many miles are on the car? do you understand your rings are not going to like this idea? not to mention you'll probably run lean esp. since you dont want to tune it

- you dont want to tune it? are you just that cheap?

- putting together your own kit when you know jack about turbo systems.. horrible idea

- no one on here is going to give you a parts list

youd be better off doing a 5 speed swap and doing a few modifications to your car such as intake, header, full exhaust, good wires/plug, etc etc...

your not going to make much more power with a tiny turbo and running 5psi.. and you dont want to tune it? it's going to run like crap... and have you even thought about how you run the oil lines and vacuum lines?

might as well strap a leaf blower to it

but you can always buy some cheap kit off ebay.. that way it will end up blown up in your parents yard and off the road

edit after your edit: an ecu is an ENGINE CONTROL UNIT which means you'll need a frackING TUNE for the car to run right (preferably dyno tune but thats just me)

I hate when people just strap crap to their car and wonder why it doesnt run right.. i see this every weekend at the track.. and even though it's quite funny sometimes it gets old

Edited by DelSolSweetie

problems with your post:

- you have no idea what you talking about

- turbo systems are not defined by 'boost'.. if i run 5 psi with a t25 vs 5 psi with a t88 the requirements/specs of each system would be completely different

- you want to turbo a car by using the cheapest parts you can find.. horrible idea

- depending on the condition of your motor/car this could turn out very badly.. how many miles are on the car? do you understand your rings are not going to like this idea? not to mention you'll probably run lean esp. since you dont want to tune it

- you dont want to tune it? are you just that cheap?

- putting together your own kit when you know jack about turbo systems.. horrible idea

- no one on here is going to give you a parts list

youd be better off doing a 5 speed swap and doing a few modifications to your car such as intake, header, full exhaust, good wires/plug, etc etc...

your not going to make much more power with a tiny turbo and running 5psi.. and you dont want to tune it? it's going to run like crap... and have you even thought about how you run the oil lines and vacuum lines?

might as well strap a leaf blower to it

but you can always buy some cheap kit off ebay.. that way it will end up blown up in your parents yard and off the road

edit after your edit: an ecu is an ENGINE CONTROL UNIT which means you'll need a frackING TUNE for the car to run right (preferably dyno tune but thats just me)

I hate when people just strap crap to their car and wonder why it doesnt run right.. i see this every weekend at the track.. and even though it's quite funny sometimes it gets old

damn. well sorry? just asking if it was possible simple no would be appreciated but thanks.

i was just trying to learn something ... sorry im not a mechanic god and i know i know very little im not retarded.. didnt know i would get shot down for trying to learn

Edited by Sean2012

damn. well sorry? just asking if it was possible simple no would be appreciated but thanks.

i was just trying to learn something ... sorry im not a mechanic god and i know i know very little im not retarded.. didnt know i would get shot down for trying to learn

your not trying to learn

if you were trying to learn you'd be doing research instead of asking for a parts list and cheap websites.. if you want to learn lesson 1 is READ

turbod16.com

and

maximum boost by corky bell

are both good references for starters.. corky bells book is going to be a lot more technical then the website of course

also:

- dont believe everything you read on the internet.. esp if its a honda guy.. i know more retarded honda owners then any other car owner (i'm also involved with supras and nissans quite often)

- and dont be cheap.. if you buy cheap crap dont be surprised when it breaks, doesnt fit right, or doesnt work

if you tight on money i can understand that.. we've all been there for the most part.. just get the car reliable, fun, and quick... so when the other honda owners slap on cheap crap and blow their cars up you still have a running one and can laugh at them

and because you took that well feel free to hang around the forums and ask not stupid questions.. and i'll try to be nice from now on.. but you REALLY need to do some reading first

Edited by DelSolSweetie

your not trying to learn

if you were trying to learn you'd be doing research instead of asking for a parts list and cheap websites.. if you want to learn lesson 1 is READ

turbod16.com

and

maximum boost by corky bell

are both good references for starters.. corky bells book is going to be a lot more technical then the website of course

also:

- dont believe everything you read on the internet.. esp if its a honda guy.. i know more retarded honda owners then any other car owner (i'm also involved with supras and nissans quite often)

- and dont be cheap.. if you buy cheap crap dont be surprised when it breaks, doesnt fit right, or doesnt work

if you tight on money i can understand that.. we've all been there for the most part.. just get the car reliable, fun, and quick... so when the other honda owners slap on cheap crap and blow their cars up you still have a running one and can laugh at them

and because you took that well feel free to hang around the forums and ask not stupid questions.. and i'll try to be nice from now on.. but you REALLY need to do some reading first

Alright thanks a lot but i honestly did read around for a couple hours and then i usually post here to double check ... ig i got a little excited cuz i just got my first job this summer , im 17, and thought i could piece together a turbo, which i now know is not a good idea... but im probably going to get a header to finish the exhaust. So i would have an Intake and Exhaust finished what would be the next thing i should upgrade? thanks

Edited by Sean2012

i always like to upgrade suspension and brakes.. i normally will buy suspension before i start on the motor

not sure if you have an auto or manual (if auto a manual swap is always nice).. but a better clutch/flywheel combo will always help with responsiveness.. as well as pulleys.. and the good part is none of those upgrades are going to take a very long time and doesnt really require any special tools

turbo's are fun.. but its better to know what your doing otherwise you'll end up broke with a broke car lol and if this is your only car I doubt you want a lot of downtime

and since your only 17 i'm going to hope you've been thinking about college.. saving your money while having a fun and reliable car is always my advice (nothing wrong with slowly piecing together parts either.. but i would take longer and get quality parts then have an ebay sponsored car).. but i've never been one to seriously mod my daily (we swapped a ZC in my del but it only took a day).. my project is a mkiii supra which has seen the road twice since last august/september

and reading for a couple hours is never enough research on a major project

at 17.... id do brakes and suspension... then go fast, remember that the faster you go, the more your brakes have to work and the better your car will have to handle at high speeds. ive seen way to many kids die with fast cars and bad suspension/brakes.

Thanks guys and yeah i have an auto :/ i didnt get a huge decision in buying a car (i was going to get a 97 civic ex manual but the rear wheels were all jacked up) and yeah not thinking about a turbo anymore. My new plan is a header , some rims(currently have hub caps), then suspension

And what would be a rough price for a new suspension?

Last question for the header since the cat. is combined with the stock header so should i buy a header and a performance cat then have them welded together?

Edited by Sean2012

I just have tokico's and some nice lowering springs on the del.. handles pretty well

i have a $2k HKS coilover setup for the supra lol

so raleys 200-2000 is a good range

depending on the budget for suspension eibach and tein are always good brands.. just be careful with lowering springs (no need to go TOO low).. i know the cool thing it to drag your car around but you can do some damage if you go too low.. and now to mention it leads to buying more parts like camber kits.. and then finding someone who can get your car on their alignment machine etc etc (we have a 350z that we have to take to a place 45-60 min away to get it aligned)

not 100% on the newer honda exhaust setups but i'm sure with some research you'll be able to find a good exhaust

i'd also look into a manual swap for the car.. that'd make the car a lot more fun to drive IMO

I just have tokico's and some nice lowering springs on the del.. handles pretty well

i have a $2k HKS coilover setup for the supra lol

so raleys 200-2000 is a good range

depending on the budget for suspension eibach and tein are always good brands.. just be careful with lowering springs (no need to go TOO low).. i know the cool thing it to drag your car around but you can do some damage if you go too low.. and now to mention it leads to buying more parts like camber kits.. and then finding someone who can get your car on their alignment machine etc etc (we have a 350z that we have to take to a place 45-60 min away to get it aligned)

not 100% on the newer honda exhaust setups but i'm sure with some research you'll be able to find a good exhaust

i'd also look into a manual swap for the car.. that'd make the car a lot more fun to drive IMO

how much would the swap be from auto to manual?

because what im seeing its in the 1000's

and to lower the suspension do i only need to change the springs? or the coilovers too?

how about these rims? you like them?

VT5383B.jpg

Edited by Sean2012

you need a welder for a manual swap? i'm in the middle of one on the supra and havent needed it yet

idk why the swap would be $1k but i also dont know how much that tranny would cost

coilovers are basically strut/spring setups which are adjustable (height and damping normally)

you can get upgraded shocks/struts (tokicos are a good brand) and get lowering springs to put on the strut.. you wont have the full adjustability of a coilover but you also probably dont need it

wheels dont look bad.. but i'm not a huge fan of black wheels.. but if you like them thats the important thing

The upper trans mount needs to be swapped out. A d16 trans used is about 100 bucks

Hi so my plan now is to do the manual swap if its not to expensive. Does anyone know a decent guide that i could follow? haven't really found a good one yet

and i was trying to find the id for the auto tranny i have, i got this which i dont know if this is the ID

bmxa-8781167

could someone confirm this?

and what would be the name/id for the manual transmission for a 04 lx (D17A1)? or w/e transmission i need to get to do the swap

Also found this list of items is this all that i would need?

Parts List:

transmission

ECU

Shifter with cables

guage cluster

master cylinder

Slave Cylinder

manual transmission speed sensor

starter

Axles

clutch pedal assembly

Flywheel

sub frame/lower engine cradle

transmission motor mount Rear and Left

clutch

dash harness

engine harness

Various bolts from Honda (flywheel, clutch)

thanks in advance

Edited by Sean2012

• 11 years later...

Hey guys and gals I just bought a 2002 Honda Civic LX 5-speed. It's got a D17A1 in it (non VTech) it's been rebuilt but not for proformance purposes. I just bought it and put a cold air intake on it and got high proformance coils and spark plugs on the way and wanna get headers and full exhaust next. But every time I look up headers this engine I have has the catalytic converter in with the header it's so hard to find proformance parts for this car. What's a good website for Honda proformance parts? And I'm looking into a stage 2-3 clutch idk what I should do next. I wanna do this right I've got some money saved so I'm not trying to go the cheap route. I just want it done right. I need a Honda know it all lol I've always wanted to fix up a Honda Civic and now I got one and can't find many parts. Probably need to look into swapping it for a VTEC