Anybody know this part?

kdozier

Hi guys!

In my quest to find why my oil is getting so black; I was told about something called a "breather canister". I looked it up via hondapartsnow and it's a $40 part with part number 11851-P01-000. I was told it'll get clogged up from sludge and make the crankcase act funky.

Here are my main questions:

1) Is this thing able to be cleaned out or is it strictly replacement only??

2) Has anybody had to replace it before and did it make any difference?

Thanks guys!

whoever told you about a breather canister was probally talking about the charcoal canister.. im not sure if thats what it does.. i dont have one on my car.. my oil usually stays pretty golden until it hits almost 3k then it starts getting dark

Well, it's evidently a part of the PCV system... Not sure how that'd blacken your oil, I'd think it would be more likely to cause an oil leak from increased crankcase pressure. And then only if it's 100% clogged and you've got a fair bit of cylinder blow-by.

And the Charcoal Canister is hooked up to the gas tank and the intake manifold, gotta keep those gas fumes from killing little woodland creatures before they get run over. Shouldn't be any way for it to effect oil condition

Thanks for the response. It appears that the oil filter is blocking my way for getting to it easily. So I will attempt to take it off the next time I change my oil. I only see one bolt to take off but I know better than to think this little thing is held in place by one bolt and a pcv hose. And if it is; then it means the other bolts have to be right up against the intake manifold out of my reach. On top of that there is a support bracket for the intake manifold and the bottom of the engine that's in my way of getting a clearer view of this thing. I'll find out if this thing is able to be taken off soon enough...

• 1 month later...

The charcoal canister is in the fuel system so no it wouldn't blacken your oil the pcv (positive crankcase ventilation) is basically what it stands for that also wouldn't make your oils black. You need to keep track of how often ou change your oil and the brand and quality has a direct influence on that characteristic personally I go full synthetic royal purple all the way

Archived