89 Accord LX-i hard starting in wet weather

eek

Hey all,

This may be a somewhat common occurence but I've got an 89 Accord LX-i hatchback that runs strong--except when it is damp or raining. It will turn over but not fire up. Once the weather turns dry again, she starts right up. Anyone have any experiences in precisely what to test to find the culprit? I'm guessing ignition sys/distrib cap or wires but maybe there is a specific tendency in these cars for X to go wrong...?

Any input is appreciated since I really do want to be able to keep this thing.

thanks.

I had an 89' Accord Lx 4-door and I never had any trouble. You might try www.3geez.com and see if they can help, the site is all about 3rd gen. accords. I got alot of info, tips, and tricks off that site.

well i have 89 accord se-i. Mine is currently sputtering so I have it a tad bit accelerated and I was told the exhaust might be dirty. I dont know. But anyways um maybe its not the weather thats affecting ur car or maybe it is. I'd say check the sparkplugs and the wires. But first before u do anything urself take it to a professional just to check it out cuz they cant charge u for that.

• 1 month later...

This seems to be a problem wherein moisture seeps in your distributor cap since you mentioned that this problem only occurs when it's damp. First, check the distributor seal if it is not. If there is no seal, try using this spray product that you can spray around the distributor cap. This forms a thin film that seals the distributor preventing moisture from getting in. You can find this product in electronic shops. I'm sorry, I cannot remember the brand name of the product...

• 2 weeks later...

yup, it started up much better after a nice dousing of silicone spray. I then simply replaced the ignition wire set (with new platinum plugs, too) and I've had no problems since. thanks for the help.

Archived