Day time running light conflict with High/Low beams

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue since a few days now with the headlights (driver's side).

Initially I thought it was only a bulb problem, so I bought a new one from Honda dealer, installed it, started the engine, with the parking brake engaged => Everything works fine (parking lights, low and high beams) until I disengage the Parking brake then the headlight goes off on driver's side, DRL doesn't turn on. Only the parking light remains on. The passenger's side is fine on all positions.

If I turn the knob back to parking light position, the DRL turns on on the driver's side.

If I pull back the P-brake, it doesn't change anything. I have to stop the engine and start it again, P-brake engaged to get the headlight to work fine on driver's side, again if I disengage the p-brake => same problem occurs.

I have checked all the fuses, they're fine. I removed the DRL fuses (one in the cabin and one under the hood), Everything works just fine except obviously the DRLs that don't.

Might this be due to an electrical relay?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

To see if it is the DRL relay you can manually bypass it and turn the DRL's on, if they work then you know there is power to the relay and that all wiring past the relay is fine to the lights is fine. I have had other cars of that generation with DRL failure, but that is not to say that is your particular problem. I would consider replacing the DRL relay (located above/front of the drivers side fuse panel) if you are uncomfortable doing diagnostics as they are not very expensive.

To see if it is the DRL relay you can manually bypass it and turn the DRL's on, if they work then you know there is power to the relay and that all wiring past the relay is fine to the lights is fine. I have had other cars of that generation with DRL failure, but that is not to say that is your particular problem. I would consider replacing the DRL relay (located above/front of the drivers side fuse panel) if you are uncomfortable doing diagnostics as they are not very expensive.

Thanks Turtlehead. I will try that and let you know.

Hi Turtlhead,

I have disconnected the DRL relay, the high beams don't work and the DRLs too. However, the low beams work fine on both sides.

I couldn't pull the module off, it has a stupid installation. It needs to be pushed up but its impossible to do so because there are lots of wires that I couldn't move away.

Are these module fixable or I have to buy one? It costs $163 + tax at the dealership and around $60 used.

Thanks

That is good that both the high's and DRL's don't work with the relay out because the DRL's should be if I am correct, running off the high beam hot lead circuit. You can jumper across the terminals where the relay plugs in and check to see if the lights opperate as they should. If they do then it sounds like the relay is bad, thus replace. A word of caution, DO NOT disconnect or tamper with any yellow wrapped wires or yellow electrical connectors while working in there as they are SRS and you could cause a dangerous situation if you do not know what you are doing.

Post back with your findings. I am not sure what module you are talking about. Are you talking about the fuse panel assembly, the relay, multiplex unit...? If the fuse panel is in the way there should only be a couple of 10mm head bolts that can be quickly removed, remove connectors into the panel and get that out of the way and you should have enough room to work.

Good luck.

Hi,

The DRL relay is defective. I decided to remove the DRL fuses to keep the highbeams working. I will use the low beams in lieu of DRLs because the relay is too expensive and I don't want to spend that much on it. I would rather replace the headlights once or twice a year which will cost me $8 to $16 max, rather than replacing a new DRL relay at $184 or refurbished at $60.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated

Archived