Which of the follwing is the best 6x9 rear deck speaker?

mgoblue002

I am stuck choosing between a Sound Ordnance (Crutchfield brand) P-69, a Sony Xplod XS-GTX6931, and a Boston Acoustics S95. Ignoring the price of each, in your opinion which is the best speaker for a Head Unit running at 22 RMS and 50 peak per channel? Thanks!

this is a really bad question to ask on a forum

Reasons being is some people are biased towards certain brands, usualy for no reason other than they have a loyalty to that brand (Im that way myself with focal), another reason being we are not the ones who will have to listen to it everyday while you are, 3rd different brands (and lines within that line) sound different to different people, the best way to decide which is better is to hear them yourself.

To be honest however they are going to sound NO better than your stock speakers, and infact may sound even worse than what you have in there now. I belive I already told you why, it has to do with them being underpowered. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DO IT RIGHT.

Also for a rear deck mounted speaker you DO NOT want to use a coaxial speaker (2,3,4,5 way) you want a midbass driver (single speaker) for the best quality sound.

seb, the 02+ accords actually had fairly well built speakers IIRC, hence the reason i told him it wont sound any better.

Gotta remember after about 2000 honda stepped up their "luxury" game to pander to a more affluent customer, hence the reason the new civics are now the size of a 1960 caddy, and fitted with more gizmos doo dads and crapola than you could ever need.

• 4 weeks later...

Xplod sucks (just saying) If you really want to have your 6x9 speakers sound nice you need an after-market amp that will power the speakers perfect.The power needed will change for different speakers like the ones i have in my car i needed an amp that gave 100 watts to each speaker i bought a 300watt amp that powers 125watts to both 6x9s. sounds great. If you want bass it depends on how big the voice coil is. like a sony Xplod 10" sub has a 2" voice coil but a Mtx 9500 10" sub has a 4" voice coil... so you know that that 10 is going to be twice as good as that Sony Xplod. You will need to power them correct i suggest going to an audio shop and asking them to help you find some 6x9s and an amp to power them good.

Xplod sucks (just saying) If you really want to have your 6x9 speakers sound nice you need an after-market amp that will power the speakers perfect.The power needed will change for different speakers like the ones i have in my car i needed an amp that gave 100 watts to each speaker i bought a 300watt amp that powers 125watts to both 6x9s. sounds great. If you want bass it depends on how big the voice coil is. like a sony Xplod 10" sub has a 2" voice coil but a Mtx 9500 10" sub has a 4" voice coil... so you know that that 10 is going to be twice as good as that Sony Xplod. You will need to power them correct i suggest going to an audio shop and asking them to help you find some 6x9s and an amp to power them good.

second post i read from you and one thing is VERY obvious, you are entirely ill-informed

you started off o.k. by saying sony is garbage, and yes, mids /highs will always sound better with an external amp, but everything after that was pretty funny. Me and my friends are actually sitting here laughing at your coil size reference as we speak.

second post i read from you and one thing is VERY obvious, you are entirely ill-informed

you started off o.k. by saying sony is garbage, and yes, mids /highs will always sound better with an external amp, but everything after that was pretty funny. Me and my friends are actually sitting here laughing at your coil size reference as we speak.

i worded it wrong my bad. and i know a person who has a sony xplod and a 9500 and the 9500 can take more power so it has a nicer cleaner sound to it. i meant better quality bass, I'm not stupid.. I'm glad i could make you and your friends have a good laugh.

ahem. . .

I know its starting to look like im on your case. . and i am . . . sort of . . . i know, im a meanie. . . but that never stops me lol

Education on the anatomy of a subwoofer in relation to coil size. . . lesson starts now

Coil size dont mean better, definitely dont mean worst. But when coil size relates to a sub, you cant just look at the size of the coil. There are other parameters you have to consider.

The biggest advantage to a 4" coil is cooling. You see alot of these coils on humongous subs that take 1.21 giggawatts to push

In a speaker build. A 4" coil can completely make the sub suffer depending on how that coil is supported. Say i have a 12" subwoofer, with a 4" coil and only a 7" spider. With only 2.5" worth of suspension surrounding my coil im going to be limited to almost no cone travel what so ever. Therefore, my subwoofers lack of ability to move air, and even worst, high potential to exceed its mechanical limits and tear away from the cone, or rip in the spider makes my sub an absolute turd.

This is seen alot with subs like Audiopipe, Audiobahn, MA audio and the brands alike. They market a 4" coil and give you a sheet long of data on its advantages. . .yet, they can never seem to explain away how a Sunddown SA 12, or a Audioque SD series literally craps on their subs with a 2.5" coil, half the magnet, usually half the price, and only 600 watts rms power ratings.

learn this. . i will be giving you a test on it Friday.

ahem. . .

I know its starting to look like im on your case. . and i am . . . sort of . . . i know, im a meanie. . . but that never stops me lol

Education on the anatomy of a subwoofer in relation to coil size. . . lesson starts now

Coil size dont mean better, definitely dont mean worst. But when coil size relates to a sub, you cant just look at the size of the coil. There are other parameters you have to consider.

The biggest advantage to a 4" coil is cooling. You see alot of these coils on humongous subs that take 1.21 giggawatts to push

In a speaker build. A 4" coil can completely make the sub suffer depending on how that coil is supported. Say i have a 12" subwoofer, with a 4" coil and only a 7" spider. With only 2.5" worth of suspension surrounding my coil im going to be limited to almost no cone travel what so ever. Therefore, my subwoofers lack of ability to move air, and even worst, high potential to exceed its mechanical limits and tear away from the cone, or rip in the spider makes my sub an absolute turd.

This is seen alot with subs like Audiopipe, Audiobahn, MA audio and the brands alike. They market a 4" coil and give you a sheet long of data on its advantages. . .yet, they can never seem to explain away how a Sunddown SA 12, or a Audioque SD series literally craps on their subs with a 2.5" coil, half the magnet, usually half the price, and only 600 watts rms power ratings.

learn this. . i will be giving you a test on it Friday.

ok. but since they can take more power it just comes out cleaner. at least that what it seems like. w/e i may be wrong you know what your talking about and i'm not trying to say you don't.

ok. but since they can take more power it just comes out cleaner. at least that what it seems like. w/e i may be wrong you know what your talking about and i'm not trying to say you don't.

the low distortion comes with a combination of strong motors, stable travel, and mix of quality motor design with balanced soft parts (cone, surround, spiders).

Power has very little to do with it as well. Image Dynamic IQ's are 300 watt subs. They sound amazing, hit low, and have a nice curve for SQ applications.

These days, XBL^2 goes a long way in SQ as well.

I know im giving you shyt. . . but this is stuff that you can take along with you. Im having my fun at your expense, but there is some to be gained as well. Because the way you look at a sub is the way novice peoples intemperate them. I was once in your shoes. . . but now with some experience behind me. Not only do i know a sub is good or what its capable of doing. . . I know WHY its good and why its capable of doing what it can do :)

• 10 months later...

the low distortion comes with a combination of strong motors, stable travel, and mix of quality motor design with balanced soft parts (cone, surround, spiders).

Power has very little to do with it as well. Image Dynamic IQ's are 300 watt subs. They sound amazing, hit low, and have a nice curve for SQ applications.

These days, XBL^2 goes a long way in SQ as well.

I know im giving you shyt. . . but this is stuff that you can take along with you. Im having my fun at your expense, but there is some to be gained as well. Because the way you look at a sub is the way novice peoples intemperate them. I was once in your shoes. . . but now with some experience behind me. Not only do i know a sub is good or what its capable of doing. . . I know WHY its good and why its capable of doing what it can do smile.gif

You covered some of it. Why not school him on gap density, Xmax, sensitivity, frame, and Thiele Small paramaters in general?

I disagree on voice coli size - a 4" VC has lots of advantages (beyond sustained power dissapation capability) over a 2.5" for a LF driver - all other things equal in the overall design strategy. (flux density in the gap, Xmax, Vas, Fs, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

lol, you guys are all making good points and explaining them to the fullest. now with the voice coil size and what its advantages are, that all goes along with what the vehicle owner likes to hear, let it be sq, deep/loud bass, or just straight out drags. Yes it has lots to do with the performance of the woofer but almost every comp ive been to the 2.5" walk the 4"s, in sq and DB drag. So not always is bigger better, just remember that!

Theres lots of subwoofers and manufactors out there and if you do a little more investigating into the woofers themselves you will come to find lots of different manufactors destribute the "same" subwoofer with just a different logo, color, and PRICE.

Get out and tlk to poeple (ie, guys like these two^^) or sit down and do your research on your own. Only you will be able to come up with a system that fits what you are looking for. trial and error man, we all go through it!

Sorry to bump an old thread but the best thing to do is to actually go listen to each of them. My best advice is to go to a car audio meet or some local car show. That is your best bet. Also, next time please share what kind of music you listen to.

Archived