So im in the market for a new tv. iv still got an old RCA one thats not flat screen. what should i look at getting? iv checked the price of a few 32-34 inches from walmart and they look to be 400 and up. what should i look for tho as far as stuff like 1080p, 740p and so on? i know i want one with a hdmi hook up for my ps3 but not sure what else to look at. any help is appreciated. and im lookin at no bigger that a 37"

if going with one as small as 32-34, I would at least go all out and try to get the best picture available

108p

120-240hz (depending on LCD OR LED)

Samsung, LG, or Sony and you cant go wrong

iv looked at a couple of lg and samsungs and the picture wasnt that great. sony is one iv got my eyes set on but its not a definate one atm. is the p after 1080p stand for pixels? sorry for a newb question but im new to the tv business lol

iv looked at a couple of lg and samsungs and the picture wasnt that great. sony is one iv got my eyes set on but its not a definate one atm. is the p after 1080p stand for pixels? sorry for a newb question but im new to the tv business lol

The 'P' stands for progressive scans where the lines are shown in numerical order to show a smooth picture (1,2,3,4, etc.) as opposed to the 'i' which stands for interlaced where the odd lines are shown first followed by the even numbered lines, creating a less fluid picture.

Also just in case you're curious, the 1080/720/480 stand for the the vertical lines of resolution. So a 1080 (vertical) x 1920 (horizontal) multiplied would give you roughly 2 million pixels, just about double the amount of a 720 x 1280 tv.

For the size that you want, you can get a Vizio LED for about 299-699 depending on the size....to me personally if your getting smaller TV they are the way to go anything 42" and up you want to go with Sharp Aquos! Best TV's on the market, full LED lit screen, unlike the rest that are perimeter lit......big difference, go to www.buy.com or amazon.com and check those for TV's or you can check Target & Sam's Club for Vizio's

I have a Vizio 37", 1080p 120hz that I have been very happy with. Any brand name you recognize will be fine, just check for at least a 1yr warranty. Watch for budget tv pitfalls: avoid 480, 720 and 1080i for displays larger then 32". Same thing goes for refresh, if you get 32" and larger be sure to get a 120hz display. 240hz displays are quite pricey and from all the reviews I have seen there is minimal visual difference unless the display is 50" or larger and then only with high action video being displayed.

so for a more fluid, smooth picture id want one that has the p after the number (1080p) right? iv seen alot of good reviews about the vizio as xeryon says so they are a lookin good right now. the local walmart has been having the sony 32-37 inches on sale for 348-600. would a hdmi cable really make a diffrence on games and movies? and can i cheap out on an hdmi cable if so? ebay usually has them for 6-10 bucks which beats walmarts 35 lol

HDMI is a digital signal - it works or it doesn't. You could use a coat hanger and get the same quality as a $35 walmart or $100 monster cable.

read up on your reviews on the sony's. they are no longer the premium quality they used to be. still good products, but they have been riding on name alone for a while now and haven't made anything better then the average.

Sony's arent good TV's at all, according to the guy who came out to repair my TV (which is contracted) his most TV's fixed were sony's & samsungs.....

You want a TV thats 1080P, 240Hz is the best but 120Hz isnt going to hurt you in quality either, it really depends on your TV, narrow down which brand you would want and i can let you know the pros and cons.

Also a HDMI cord reduces wires, instead of having a L&R audio and the visiual cords all over the place, their is a qulity difference between hdmi & component/ composite, but....as far as one HDMI to another, its the same just like Xeryon said, you can buy like 5 gold plated HDMI cables for lik 5 bucks on amazon, dont get suckered into buying a 35-100 cord....just dumb if you do so.

The only difference between an amazon/monprice/ebay hdmi cable and a walmart/bestbuy/monster cable is the connector. The $3 cables do have crap connectors that will not hold up to repeated rough handling. As long as your installation is relatively constant just go cheap. If you are unplugging your xbox 5 times a week and moving it, or your little brother/roommate keeps tripping over it and yanking it out sideways you may want to spend more on extra cables or get one with better connectors.

I anguished over which TV to buy for several months. I didn't want to waste my money and wanted the best price possible for what I was going to buy. Cyber Monday 2009 netted me my 37" Vizio from an internet retailer for about $475 shipped. I love the thing. My only complaint so far is that I should have gone with the 42" for the extra $75 or so. It has a bazillion inputs on the back, the built in speakers are fair and the picture is amazing at any viewing angle.

Sony's arent good TV's at all, according to the guy who came out to repair my TV (which is contracted) his most TV's fixed were sony's & samsungs.....

JUST after my 1 year warranty was up on my 52" Sony Bravia, ALL of my hdmi ports stopped working, sound from the tv speakers is getting fuzzy, and it turned off at least once without my input.

Luckily for me I bought with my AMEX card...

JUST after my 1 year warranty was up on my 52" Sony Bravia, ALL of my hdmi ports stopped working, sound from the tv speakers is getting fuzzy, and it turned off at least once without my input.

Luckily for me I bought with my AMEX card...

I bet you and my friend had the same TV lol.....he had the same exact issue and it was a little after a year it happened....couldnt take it back or fight the warranty...they were like SOL

One thing you have to realize is that Samsung and Sony are the highest selling brands right now. More units moved = more failure rates seen in the public eye.

Sharp and Toshiba has higher failure rates on LCD and LED models then Samsung and Sony when compared to units made vs units moved

I dont know about Vizio, but if anyone is entertaining the idea that Vizio is better then Samsung. . . well, i think you may need your head checked lol

Vizio is a good bang for buck brand though. Really, any 1080p TV with good contrast and refresh rates will look awesome, some just more awesome then others

^

True Samsung and Sony are the top sellers, but thats because people buy whats common out there and what is set to be the "Standard" for High Def TV's, you do realize the main reason why retailers sell more of those types of TV's is the fact that they adjust the settings to be better than the next brand.....this is confirmed from a few friends that work in the retail with Best Buy, but the fact is yes high sales = higher fail rate, but then again just like an Xbox 360, if they built it correctly they wouldnt have a problem.

behindNow as far as Sharp & Toshiba having a high fail rate? Where did you get your facts from? Id like to know, not because I dont believe you just for the mere fact is how do they have such a higher fail rate even though Sharp is one of the highest selling Brands of LCD & LED Televisions and Toshiba is not that far behind

i dont want a tv thats gonna fail lol. how does lg stack up as far as failure rates and picture quality? im lookin at a 37" lg 1080p lcd. heres the specs on it

• "Full HD 1080p Resolution
  • 100,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
  • Picture Wizard II (Easy Picture Calibration)
  • Smart Energy Saving
  • AV Mode II (Cinema, Sports, Game)
  • Clear Voice II
  • ISFccc® Ready
  • 24P Real Cinema
  • USB 2.0 (JPEG & MP3)
  • 2 HDMI™ V.1.3 w/Deep Color
  • SIMPLINK™ Connectivity
  • Dolby® Digital 5.1 Decoder
  • Infinite Sound

LG 37" 1080p LCD HDTV You know it’s time to start enjoying Full HD 1080p, and the LD450 is an easy way to get into it. A beautiful LCD with all of the innovations that make LG TVs something better. "

i was just about to ask that same question Xeryon.....lol

LG's are actually a suprisngly decent brand.....two friends of mine bought LG's one bout a LED & the other bought a LCD...they look nice, just gotta futz around with the settings so you like....but none the less get me the model number i'll look into it for you....have you also checked Buy.com & amazon.......they been having really good deals on TV's lately

^

True Samsung and Sony are the top sellers, but thats because people buy whats common out there and what is set to be the "Standard" for High Def TV's, you do realize the main reason why retailers sell more of those types of TV's is the fact that they adjust the settings to be better than the next brand.....this is confirmed from a few friends that work in the retail with Best Buy, but the fact is yes high sales = higher fail rate, but then again just like an Xbox 360, if they built it correctly they wouldnt have a problem.

behindNow as far as Sharp & Toshiba having a high fail rate? Where did you get your facts from? Id like to know, not because I dont believe you just for the mere fact is how do they have such a higher fail rate even though Sharp is one of the highest selling Brands of LCD & LED Televisions and Toshiba is not that far behind

There is an audio/video home theater site that I regularly visit where these statistics are posted all the time. I will throw up some links when I can sit down at a regular computer, I don't feel like browsing them on my iPhone lol .... But I can tell you that the acceptable failure rate for any electronics company is 15%

Samsung is around 9%

Sony is around 11%

LG is around 8%

Don't know about you, but 15% is not an acceptable failure rate in my book. You better damn well believe I would not knowingly buy something from any place with double digit failure rates.

F that. Failure rate should be 0. If and when it does occur the tech companies should be sucking me off to keep me from being livid. You pay a lot of money to a company only to have the thing break in short order and the tech support tries to make you out to be an idiot because their equipment broke.

Archived