Subs for 86 hatchback

Welemin91

you dont have to be a 'pro' to make a box. Im not a pro and i have been building hem since i was 12 years old lol. You get measurements, you cut them out, and then you screw and glue the wood together. Its nothing you have to be afraid of doing.

we will look at it this way.

Advantages of building a box yourself -

You can custom tune them

Custom fit them

Build the box to TS spec

Rip it out, trash it and start over if you dont like the results

Cons of buying prefab -

They cost an arm and a leg where as building it yourself only costs you a sheet of wood, glue, and screws.

They are not to TS spec in most cases, your often just trying to adapt a box to fit a sub

Very few cases where prefab boxes are the way to go, and very few companies are even worth a crap. Kaotic for example makes very nice boxes, but you submit the measurements to them, its all hand built, and is still expensive

first off . . there are 10 inch subs out there that can hit the 20hz ranges.

There are no subs that hit "highs" thats what tweeters do, perhaps you mean to say higher end of the low range spectrum? I dunno. ..

the way a sub performs is all relative to the enclosure. has less to do with what size sub you are using. You can tune a 10" type R to hit the same low end freq. then even the 15" Type R. The only reason a 12 or 15 is louder is because it has more surface area thus moving more air. But consider this. You can install 1 x 12" and I can Install 2 x 10" and be louder then you. . .

And as far as speakers tearing peoples cars up..... its pretty much a shytbox you own if a speaker is busting it apart. Ive had a CRX with 8k watts and 4 15's to my last system which consisted of 4 18"s in my suburban and not once did my cars fall apart lol

If you are competing, yea, go get your amp tuned and dialed in.

But on here, i seriously doubt that anybody is competing. I posted up instructions a long while back how to tune your amp using a simple DMM. Its another thing that is just not hard to do, and if someone is so retarded they cant get on the internet and look up "help tuning amp" then they probably shouldn't own a stereo in the first place. . . . or be driving for that matter

ok u proved my point u been building boxed since u were 12 what if its the first time and they don't want to mess up my friend was positive he wasn't gonna mess up and he did . i'm just trying to be helpful for some dumb blond that may read this damn lol... i don't mean like literally completely fall apart lol.

i know 2 10" subs can be louder. i was suggesting my because i love it and the box i have is made specifically for type r subs. and type r's have a nice sound in my opinion. and i didn't know if he knew anything at all about a system so if not i just said what my setup is and suggested it.

ok u proved my point u been building boxed since u were 12 what if its the first time and they don't want to mess up my friend was positive he wasn't gonna mess up and he did . i'm just trying to be helpful for some dumb blond that may read this damn lol... i don't mean like literally completely fall apart lol.

i know 2 10" subs can be louder. i was suggesting my because i love it and the box i have is made specifically for type r subs. and type r's have a nice sound in my opinion. and i didn't know if he knew anything at all about a system so if not i just said what my setup is and suggested it.

i started when i was 12, but i wasnt always a "pro" at making boxes, and dont consider myself to be

but even at 12, i made my own boxes and honestly, they have always worked just fine

that was the point I was making. . . i can build them at 12 (and im admittedly a dumbass on most stuff in life lol) then people here should have no problem with it

CBR, I like you haha

Derrick just GTFO, building a box is a weekend job at most, all you need to do is goto google, search for "sub box calculaor", it will spit out what you need for volume and port (assuming your sub doesnt come with said info, mine always have, but then again I buy my audio new).

Then just do a little HS geometry, cut, glue, screw, and carpet your box.

and PS your alpine type R's.... sound like doo doo butter. I know, i had them in my hatch, and sold them a month after I installed them.

CBR, I like you haha

Derrick just GTFO, building a box is a weekend job at most, all you need to do is goto google, search for "sub box calculaor", it will spit out what you need for volume and port (assuming your sub doesnt come with said info, mine always have, but then again I buy my audio new).

Then just do a little HS geometry, cut, glue, screw, and carpet your box.

and PS your alpine type R's.... sound like doo doo butter. I know, i had them in my hatch, and sold them a month after I installed them.

you must of had the type r powered wrong or something it sounds hella sick. and i'm not saying i don't know how to build a box i'm just saying there a some people who are dumb as frack and would rather buy a box. or just don't have the time to build one.

yeah but their image depth sucks, they hit a very narrow range, no good for SQ, but great for SPL (and im sorry, i like to listen to my music, not hear 2 notes)

Alpine Type R (SWR12) 24 - 500 Hz

Focal 27V2 35 - 500 Hz

Just sayin lol . . .

yeah have you ever heard them in an enclosure spec-ed to each sub? I call BS on the type-R's specs, they have 2/3rds if not 1/2 their advertised range. Not to mention they sound like they have a layer of crap sitting on the cone.

I was actually looking at going with the type-r's before i found my focals, heard them side by side, there is a reason i spent the ammount I did on my sub.

yeah have you ever heard them in an enclosure spec-ed to each sub? I call BS on the type-R's specs, they have 2/3rds if not 1/2 their advertised range. Not to mention they sound like they have a layer of crap sitting on the cone.

I was actually looking at going with the type-r's before i found my focals, heard them side by side, there is a reason i spent the ammount I did on my sub.

type-r_10_chart_forcefactor.jpg

Id say thats a pretty flat curve.

Im not accusing the Type R of sounding better then a Focal, but there is no denying that for the price, they are one of the best subs you can get for your money.

They have a great motor design and the CRC pole is outstanding on that sub.

Because of the way these subs are designed, they really shine in terms of output when set in SQL/SPL applications, but they (at least the new ones) hold their own in SQ setups as well with moderate power pushed to them.

To try to say the sub is a POS just dont do it any justice. This sub has the ability to excel in alot of areas where youre sub lacks. Take out the biased towards SQ and your sub is actually pretty worthless to the average consumer who is just looking for a daily street beater.

There is no special technology in ur subs that make them sound good to be honest. They just have well balanced soft parts, and Focal usually has really good control of the cone. But, thats easy to accomplish when you have small amounts of linear excursion. The output still suffers.

Where as. . . you can grab up for example. . a Stereo Integrity Magnum, drive the piss out of it and it still sounds crisp even with gobs of power put to it.

to cut this short. Your subs are designed and built strictly towards balance and the ability to be musical at the expense of output. You are a very small minority in the car audio world.

You say you like to "hear" your music, I say "I like to have fun" :)

Archived