Tire sizing

Xeryon

got some new 15x7 wheels, pretty sure stock on this car was a 13x5 or 13x5.5 rolling a horrific 175/95/13 or something ludicrous. when using the common honda 15x6 or 15x6.5 the proper size most people run are 195/55/15, i prefer the slightly meatier 205/50/15 look myself. will the extra .5in width of the wheel mean i should look at a different size for proper fitment?

i am familiar with miata.net tire calc, which is great for determining effect on gauges but not so helpful for sizing wider wheels.

I've always used this Calc

That's a good one for determining general fitment and gauge calibration but like many others has no provisions for offsets and wheel width.

the one i linked above does a comparison between two wheel and tires sets for height, width, sidewall, offset, rotation and so on.

i liked the calculated fitment of the 215/45/15 but the tire doesn't exist, a 215/50/15 does exist and the tires aren't terribly expensive but the setup is considerably wider and I am pretty sure will not mount up unless I had spacers or wheels with a different offset. looks like 205/50/15's are what I am getting. going to tire discounters tomorrow and going to check out some Kumho ASX's unless someone has something else they want to recommend for a performance all season.

You are not hurting. That's closer to what I was looking for. It doesn't show the effects of different sized tires on a wider wheel but does give measurements on the different clearances the offset and width will require.

• 1 month later...

You are not hurting. That's closer to what I was looking for. It doesn't show the effects of different sized tires on a wider wheel but does give measurements on the different clearances the offset and width will require.

What car? What did you end up putting on it? How did it work out?

On my 91 hatchback I put 15x7 wheels and 195/50's and it worked out pretty well. Next set of tires I'm thinking 205/50's or maybe even step it up to 16" wheels and go for a little more circumference to raise gearing just a bit.

Ended up installing 205/50's on the 15x7. The look of the tire and wheel is perfect in my opinion, but because the tire is the opposite of a pokenstretch fitment is an issue. I have had to raise the car up quite a bit to get a stance where camber is neutral and there is no rubbing.

I may go back to a mild negative camber to lower it down a bit more. The pic below is before i corrected what neg camber there was and i have since raised the back of the car another full inch. the front came up about 1/2. i still rub in the back on aggressive corners and upward bumps in the road.

DSCN2251.jpg

Archived