Help : Head Gasket Issue??

zei

Hi,

My car recently overheated and when they checked the possible culprit would be the head gasket. Their suggestion was to replace the entire engine. Is there a way of fixing the head gasket issue without having to replace the entire engine? I need your advice.

Symptoms

- Car overheated (once)

- continuous stream of bubbles observed in the overflow tank

- white smoke during start up but when the engine is on it's right temp, white smoke disappears

- no trace of oil in the overflow tank

I hope a fellow honda man can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

What was their reason behind replacing the entire engine?

They mentioned that it was quite risky to replace the gasket. It might not solve the issue at all. They said it would be best to replace the entire engine. The thing is i'm on a budget!

Thanks airjordan for taking time reading my post.

Sounds like something is missing here. Either there is a big problem, which it doesn't sound like or whoever you took it to is trying to rip you off.

You can definitely replace a head gasket and it isn't that expensive.

Sounds like something is missing here. Either there is a big problem, which it doesn't sound like or whoever you took it to is trying to rip you off.

You can definitely replace a head gasket and it isn't that expensive.

appreciate your response airjordan..

when they checked the overflow tank while the engine is running there was a continuous stream of bubbles coming out and it wasnt just an air pocket. We waited for 15 minutes and it didnt stop. so they assumed that there's a leak possible crack on the gasket. they said if the open it up to replace the gasket if would be hard to put it back. Do they know what they're doing? they should know the torque specifications right?

i'll have it checked in a different shop.. and ill have the just the gasket replaced! thanks!

blown HG,

Okay man who ever is telling you its hard etc etc etc is full of BS

Swapping a HG is quick and easy, and while your at it, change out the head bolts timing belt, tensioner, and water pump while your there

Grand total for you to change all of that and to do a basic tune up if you do it yourself would be around 250.

And honestly why even think about replaceing a motor before you have even pull the head off?

How bad was the motor overheated, how long, how many miles are on the motor?

Hi,

My car recently overheated and when they checked the possible culprit would be the head gasket. Their suggestion was to replace the entire engine. Is there a way of fixing the head gasket issue without having to replace the entire engine? I need your advice.

Symptoms

- Car overheated (once)

- continuous stream of bubbles observed in the overflow tank

- white smoke during start up but when the engine is on it's right temp, white smoke disappears

- no trace of oil in the overflow tank

I hope a fellow honda man can help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Real easy, do a normal oil change and see if it looks like milk, if it does, bearings and cyl's will most likely be crap. If not do the head gasket, bring the head to your local machine shop have them plain it and check the valves to see if any are leaking, its a simple job for them and once you get it back you will know it will seal the gasket to the block without a problem. While everything is apart you will want to do the tstat, tbelt, w.pump, acc belts, head bolts, etc, its apart so you might as well do it now. So to sum it up if the oil looks okay just do the head job, and to answer your first question its a head gasket, white smoke it the coolant buring off

he would have had to be running around with it overheating a while for it to warp the head.. yah the stuff is aluminum but it doesnt warp at automatically as people think

and speaking i dont know the age or condition of this vehicle the white smoke for a few min could be something else.. yes normally white means head gasket though

*but* it shows no other signs besides coolant bubbles.. coolant bubbles can be caused by a leak in the system.. such as a hole in the radiator (i know this first hand)

most likely headgasket as stated before (check for leaks anyway).. i'd replace water pump and tensioner as stated above.. but also replace intake manifold gasket and exhaust gasket

he would have had to be running around with it overheating a while for it to warp the head.. yah the stuff is aluminum but it doesnt warp at automatically as people think

and speaking i dont know the age or condition of this vehicle the white smoke for a few min could be something else.. yes normally white means head gasket though

*but* it shows no other signs besides coolant bubbles.. coolant bubbles can be caused by a leak in the system.. such as a hole in the radiator (i know this first hand)

most likely headgasket as stated before (check for leaks anyway).. i'd replace water pump and tensioner as stated above.. but also replace intake manifold gasket and exhaust gasket

If there was a hole in the radiator it would be leaking, no? What else would cause the white smoke? Oil would cause white smoke but it would be buring a good amount of it. Head gasket kit usually comes with intake, exhaust, and valve cover with gromets. Lastly if you don't have the head plained and it is warped you will have to take it apart and do the whole job over again!

1) if it is a large enough leak you will see it.. mine had a broke fin and would not leak under the car at all.. there were bubbles in the overflow

2) oil causes blue smoke.. fuel can cause white or black.. coolant also causes white

3) when you order a headgasket it comes with a head gasket.. if you order a full gasket kit it comes with everything

4) you are assuming the head is warped.. as I said before unless he was driving around with the car overheating it wont be warped.. people who pay attention to their car will shut it off as soon as they see the heat rising so as NOT to do further damage

1) if it is a large enough leak you will see it.. mine had a broke fin and would not leak under the car at all.. there were bubbles in the overflow

2) oil causes blue smoke.. fuel can cause white or black.. coolant also causes white

3) when you order a headgasket it comes with a head gasket.. if you order a full gasket kit it comes with everything

4) you are assuming the head is warped.. as I said before unless he was driving around with the car overheating it wont be warped.. people who pay attention to their car will shut it off as soon as they see the heat rising so as NOT to do further damage

1) impressed you found a leak that small

2) oil can cause blue smoke if you dump a quart downt he exhaust valves, sure

3) Who would order just the head gasket instead of the kit? You need the rest of it unless you recycle the old gaskets, to each their own.....

4) Yeah I assume it on all of them until its checked and plained. It overheated and your not gonna have the valves checked either? :o I take it you've done a few of these :D

actually I have never blown a headgasket nor overheated a car.. you are quite dumb to think if a car goes in the red for a minute or two it will trash the engine

Im sure you haven't blown a headgasket, im sure you haven't done an engine job either. I doubt the engine would be trashed, crank is probably fine LOL. You young kids today are funny

Archived