New rims...

SolMusic

Hey people.

Needing some ideas/inspiration for new wheels on the del sol, had some new tyres put on 2 weeks ago, felt the wheel wobbling when i was goin like 70 the other day, so then went back to get them balanced...

Found out my front right is completely f*ckadoodledoo'd. Properly buckled, should see the amount of weight the guy had to put on it to try n balance it for the time being, like half the wheel is covered in the lil weights!

So I need some new rimz. Can't seem to find a spare wheel of my current wheels (gone of out manufacture I think), gonna need new ones all round.

Thinking 16", something along the lines of Rota Slipstreams, maybe in black with a polished lip.

P6130238.jpg

Gimme some ideas!???? Looking for something fairly cheap... (why do bbs wheels have to be so fking expensive, dammit).

Edited by SebSol

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol colter, whats up with buckled!?

those grids look proper sweet. hmm... are they the grid 'drifts' in that pic?

As to getting something original like I've got at the mo... not sure about it, think I'd rather get something that has got a good rep! not too bothered about something being common, so long as it looks the tits! :)

dunno if my wheels are weak or anything jason, might of just hit a beast of a pot hole or something

If you paid less then a grand for them new they were probably just cast aluminum. Most "cheap" wheels won't even pass highway safety certifications, which is why new OEM wheels from the factory seems so ridiculously high priced - they are usually made through similar processes as volks, bbs and other tier 1 manufacturers.

work rzr-s. sick wheels. i agree about the slipstreams being over played. if you dont wanna pay for the work wheels rota makes a knockoff called jspl or something.

they look similar but i think the small diffrences make a big diffrence.

works

RSZ-R16.jpg

rota knockoffs

Rota-JSPECIAL-GunMetal.jpg

rota slips

Rota-Slipstream-Black.jpg

work rzr-s. sick wheels. i agree about the slipstreams being over played. if you dont wanna pay for the work wheels rota makes a knockoff called jspl or something.

they look similar but i think the small diffrences make a big diffrence.

I'm quite liking those jspl's!! Also the slips in polished finish are kinda getting my attention... though I'm just looking through a thread on HT http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2009900&page=72 , and it does seem that every c*nt under the sun has got a set of slipstreams. grr.

Lol brian... That ain't up like a monster truck! I dunno if I'd be able to get any lower than that... now thinking about getting a lip like that on the blue sol above (it looks mean), and the roads where I'm at are pretty bad.

whats wrong with rotas?

ive had some and i know numerious people with rotas and they LOVE them.. rota USED to have a bad rep for breakin wheels but not anymore, so i dont see why he shouldnt get any.. care to enlighten us?

here read a couple of these posts seb. ima say rotas are gonna be okay for everyday use or else they wouldent have a company anymore. alot of the bends, cracks and breaks are from people doing stupid crap or not using them properly

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=128233.0

Second teir company, and they STILL break, just no one with real power runs them anymore, just fanbois....

i know of a few 400+ hp cars with rotas.. and have seen evos and soobies rocking grids ALOT..

get some sik rimz yo

288888.jpg

2888.jpg

the horribly sad thing is that this del sol is RHD.. KILLS me to see a gorgeous RHD del sol turned into a n!gger mobile :dry:

here read a couple of these posts seb. ima say rotas are gonna be okay for everyday use or else they wouldent have a company anymore. alot of the bends, cracks and breaks are from people doing stupid crap or not using them properly

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=128233.0

Fair enough, from the looks of that thread, rotas breaking has been hyped up a sh*t load through the various forums....

well, i kind of figured seeing that its a actual JDM del sol.. :laugh:

mines jdm, ain't transtop! :(. sad times.

and colter, I would put 30" rims on ma sol, but i know how jealous you'd be, I can't do that to you!

Seb I think you should buy my wheels I have up for sale! and they aren't exactly a knock off wheel either.

shipping would probs be more than the actual wheels! :p what are they though?

There is nothing wrong with rotas. My earlier comment was made in jest and really only half truth.

Cast wheels are indeed weaker then forged. For average driving they would be pretty suitable.

The engineer in me thinks the real culprit here is likely the lower profile tire buckled too much when you hit a pot hole and transferred too much force to the lip of the wheel. Had the wheel been installed in an application where 17" wheels were a stock size and had an average stock size tire on it there wouldn't have been any damage to the metal.

There is also the possibility you just clipped a curb or pot hole where the road surface impacted the wheel directly. Wouldn't take much force to bend the hell out of one in that situation.

circuit 8's and torque's with a nice offset look great.