My Honda is leaking Fluids

honda2000

i have a 1991 honda accord and its leaking power steering fluid. I changed the 3 hoses that are connected to the power steering fluid reservoir thinking the hoses need to be changed and once i change the hoses, the leaking will stop. Well, after i changed all 3 hoses, my car is still leaking power steering fluid. I looked at the bottom of the reservoir thinking there is a crack, and there isn't any. The old hoses that i replaced had no cracks or tear on them, but i changed them anyway. But there was lots of greese on them, that was the reason i thought that they need to be changed because they were very greasy.

My power steering fluid level goes below the LOW LEVEL. I took the car to the mechanic after i put the 3 new hoses on there and told him about the leak. He checked under the car and he said maybe its rack and pinion, but after looking at it, he said the rack and pinion is good and he doesn't see any leaks. After he checked under the car, he couldn't see any leaks.

What is casuing my power steering fluids to go low. Even though the power steering fluid is low, it doesn't affect the steering, its not tight, the power steering is moving great.

I have a picture of the power steering fluid reservoir and the hosese that i changed right below. Any suggestion would be great.

steeringNN-1.jpg

i have a 1991 honda accord and its leaking power steering fluid. I changed the 3 hoses that are connected to the power steering fluid reservoir thinking the hoses need to be changed and once i change the hoses, the leaking will stop. Well, after i changed all 3 hoses, my car is still leaking power steering fluid. I looked at the bottom of the reservoir thinking there is a crack, and there isn't any. The old hoses that i replaced had no cracks or tear on them, but i changed them anyway. But there was lots of greese on them, that was the reason i thought that they need to be changed because they were very greasy.

My power steering fluid level goes below the LOW LEVEL. I took the car to the mechanic after i put the 3 new hoses on there and told him about the leak. He checked under the car and he said maybe its rack and pinion, but after looking at it, he said the rack and pinion is good and he doesn't see any leaks. After he checked under the car, he couldn't see any leaks.

What is casuing my power steering fluids to go low. Even though the power steering fluid is low, it doesn't affect the steering, its not tight, the power steering is moving great.

I have a picture of the power steering fluids and the hosese that i changed right below. Any suggestion would be great.

steeringNN-1.jpg

I have the same problem with my 1991 Accord. What happens is as the weather gets colder power steering fluid starts to foam and bubble/flow out the top of the reservoir (red cap). I was told this happens as the seals get older and don't work well. What I do is fill the rerservoir to the full level mark only making sure that I always only use Honda Power steering fluid and then I take a few paper towels and wrap and place them around the reservoir to soak up any overflow during use. I don't have this problem in the summertime so I don't really worry about it.

leaking fluids are never normal. What you should do is lay down butcher paper, park the car on top of it, cycle the steering with the car on and in neutral a few times, then check to see if you have any leakage and where its coming from, then trace the leak back to its source and let us know what you found.

cmgog, i tried putting newspapers under the car yesterday, but it rained, so the newspaper got wet. I will try again once it stops raining. That exactly what the mechanic that looked at the car told me.

I know for sure that i have a leak on the engine pan, and i am replacing the gasket for it. Do i have to use any adhesive when replacing the engine pan gasket?

you mean the oil pan? yes, not much, only on the corners and where the pan curves for the crank ends. But just realize that once you install an oilpan gasket you usualy need to replace it with a new one if you take the pan back off.

yes i mean the oil pan, the pan that's at the bottom of the car. I already changed the engine gasket a year ago. I am replacing the oil pan gasket for the engine.

I don't understand your sentence below cmgog. I just bought a new gasket today. Are you saying i have to buy a new oilpan as well?

"But just realize that once you install an oilpan gasket you usualy need to replace it with a new one if you take the pan back off"

what do you mean "engine gasket" ?

i changed my engine gasket a year ago. This is the gasket that is located at the center of the car engine. The mechanic took the top half part of the engine off, and put the gasket on it and put some adhesive on it and then closed the top part of the engine.

Sorr for the confusion,, i am not familiar with the mechanic terms, slang, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

i changed the power steering fluid hoses with a cheaper hose that i bought for 1 dollar but the leaking finally stopped. The only problem now is, the auto part store that i bought the hoses from, didn't sell me the thicker hoses that is recommended, they sold me cheap crappy hoses. I didnt know there was a difference, but a mechanic told me with cheaper thin hoses, they might tear in 6 months to a year.

But my car's power steering fluid no longer goes low. That's the good news.

RSPEACH, time for you to change yours.

Thanks for those that helped.

Archived