Brake Fluid

mnea

Having brake master cylinder replaced at shop and I assume they'll need to flush and replace the brake fluid. How much brake fluid should I need to replace the old and which brake fluid would you recommend?

Having brake master cylinder replaced at shop and I assume they'll need to flush and replace the brake fluid. How much brake fluid should I need to replace the old and which brake fluid would you recommend?

I'm not sure but Helms manual or Haynes manual should have your answer.

I'm not sure but Helms manual or Haynes manual should have your answer.

Honda Service Manual says:

"Always use Genuine Honda DOT3 Brake Fluid. Using a non-Honda brake fluid can cause corrosion and decrease the life

of the system."

Just curious if most of you go with the Genuine Honda DOT3 or some other?

Honda puts that in the manual because they charge 2x as much for any fluids they sell (compared to normal shop stuff). It probably makes them a killing in the dealerships. I know this because they duly raped my sphincter when I had to get some coolant and a new hose from them.

I certainly ain't using Honda branded anything from now on.

It's a scare tactic. I mean if you dont want your car to break down or corrode they say you have to use their stuff.

Thanks guys...

Honda puts that in the manual because they charge 2x as much for any fluids they sell (compared to normal shop stuff). It probably makes them a killing in the dealerships...

Makes me wonder if the shop I'm going to will just do the same thing and if I'd be better off buying some from a parts store and giving it to the shop. Any thoughts???

Go to the store to get a quote and ask what they use.

Then go shopping. Most likely it will be cheaper if you just get it yourself, but some shops are good and don't try to make a profit out of every little thing.

Archived