CRX Engine swap

kiwi87

My buddy is taking a d16 out of a 91 civic and putting it in an 86 crx....what will need to be changed...and is he gonna need to use a different tranny?.........he is trying to use the tranny out of the crx and bolt it up to a d16

http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/topic/13646-types-of-swaps/

This may help. Get him to have a search through this forum, and through http://www.d-series.org/

Cool...I ended up checking it out but couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.......again I just need to know if you can swap the tranny from a d15 to a d16 or if you need a new tranny

you did not search

otherwise you would know d bolts to d

I know d bolts to d....but it's the clutch problem I think because I have a 7 for mine but the clutch wont bolt to it and thats the major problem....I didn't think that it would just because of that....I am just trying to get a little more insight on this.....does he have to switch the ecu and everything too?

i have a d15 tranny on a d16 motor with a d16 clutch.. your screwing something up

depends on which d16 he is running as to what ecu is needed.. i think you need to do more reasearch

I am just starting to learn my hondas more in depth and the conversions and everyhting like that....the problem is it's a y7 tranny out of a d16 so a hydro clutch and I have a cable clutch....I know I am not screwing anything up because I did a test fit off of the car with the new clutch and the spline shank on the tranny is too big and wont fit into the spline on the clutch....it sucks...again I know it will bolt up but the problem being my clutch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you from NZ? Just asking because of the "kiwi" in your username.

Also you will need a tranny with cable clutch for this to work afaik

if you meant AZ yes and my buddy moved out and ran into everything problem wise i told him he would so now he has to do a full hydro adapter set up....

• 2 weeks later...

The thing about the first gen CRX's is that it's technically an EW4 (for the SI, that is, the others are carbureted.) You'll need the hasport motormounts for any Newer D series swap. The only D series that is close to a direct bolt on is the dual cam D16ZC (i believe is the code) out of the same year integra. You can also use the 4 wheel disc brakes from the integra on the CRX

EDIT:

These guys are huge on first gen CRX's. check them out

http://www.redpepperracing.com/forums/index.php?act=home

Archived