1989 Honda Civic Electrical Starting Troubleshooting

oldcivic

1989 Honda Civic:

Problem: Filled up gas. Went to crank it. Dash lights come on like all is normal. Ignition to position three (where it normally turns over).... Nothing.

It was running fine. Put a brand new battery in the day before. Checked all fuses. I've inspected the wires and don't see any obvious signs of wear/abrasion. Pulled starter and had it tested (it passed A-Okay). I tried putting a new ignition switch and main relay in this morning to no avail.

So I've done everything I know about... Fuses are good, ignition switch is good, main relay is good, wires look okay, and starter is functioning. I'm at a loss.

I'm still wondering if it is a control or relay (ex. if the clutch is up it won't let you start the car).

Any ideas out there will be much appreciated?

Thanks,

Will

• 2 weeks later...

1989 Honda Civic:

Problem: Filled up gas. Went to crank it. Dash lights come on like all is normal. Ignition to position three (where it normally turns over).... Nothing.

It was running fine. Put a brand new battery in the day before. Checked all fuses. I've inspected the wires and don't see any obvious signs of wear/abrasion. Pulled starter and had it tested (it passed A-Okay). I tried putting a new ignition switch and main relay in this morning to no avail.

So I've done everything I know about... Fuses are good, ignition switch is good, main relay is good, wires look okay, and starter is functioning. I'm at a loss.

I'm still wondering if it is a control or relay (ex. if the clutch is up it won't let you start the car).

Thanks,

Will

Sorry, dude, no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

i had similar problem when i still had my d series it was the stock motor in my 95 civic anyways i disconnected my battery to install a new stereo and went to hook the battery back up and turn the ignition and all the lights and normal starting up noises happened and tried to crank and nothing no sound nothing. it took me three days to figure out it was a bad ground. and by bad i mean slightly loose. i over looked it cause it was attached but loose. so check all your grounds. and let me now what you find out. good luck

• 1 month later...

1989 Honda Civic:

Thanks,

Will

Have you figured out your starting issue? If not I have a suggestion, bc I had the same problem.

Archived