1989 Honda Civic Won't Start... tried everything?

oldcivic

My civic has been stored in Northern California for a year. I put a new battery in it and gave it a fluid swap and she cranked up for me no problem. I then put a fuel treatment in the tank and filled up at a gas station. But when I went to start her up, she wouldn't crank. The ignition lights came on and there was no sound of the starter spinning.

The battery is brand new and charged. I checked the fuses in the fusebox under the dash and the hood. I tested the ignition switch as per my repair manual and it had continuity. I pulled the started and had it tested and it passed. I looked at the wiring and nothing is chewed up or exposed. I tested the main battery cable from the battery to the starter and it is good.

So now I am wondering if it is some kind of relay problem. Or could it still be some kind of ignition switch/relay related problem? I pulled the main relay but couldn't get a replacement and haven't tested it.

If anyone has a clue on what the trouble may be, I would be most grateful. I am starting a new job tomorrow and have to borrow a car to get to work! I have a feeling it is somethings very small and simple. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Will

when you put your key in and turn does any lights come on on the dash and check your grounds if no lights come on.

is it a five speed. you can try and roll it and pop the clutch and see if it will start

when you put your key in and turn does any lights come on on the dash and check your grounds if no lights come on.

is it a five speed. you can try and roll it and pop the clutch and see if it will start

The dash lights all come on as normal, only it won't crank. Someone told me it could still be the ignition?

It is a five speed, but it wouldn't start when I tried to pop the clutch at the station?

Thanks for the response I really appreciate your help.

Will

:crazy:

My civic has been stored in Northern California for a year. I put a new battery in it and gave it a fluid swap and she cranked up for me no problem. I then put a fuel treatment in the tank and filled up at a gas station. But when I went to start her up, she wouldn't crank. The ignition lights came on and there was no sound of the starter spinning.

The battery is brand new and charged. I checked the fuses in the fusebox under the dash and the hood. I tested the ignition switch as per my repair manual and it had continuity. I pulled the started and had it tested and it passed. I looked at the wiring and nothing is chewed up or exposed. I tested the main battery cable from the battery to the starter and it is good.

So now I am wondering if it is some kind of relay problem. Or could it still be some kind of ignition switch/relay related problem? I pulled the main relay but couldn't get a replacement and haven't tested it.

If anyone has a clue on what the trouble may be, I would be most grateful. I am starting a new job tomorrow and have to borrow a car to get to work! I have a feeling it is somethings very small and simple. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Will

Alright I know this sounds redneck as hell but have you tried hitting the starter with a stick? :crazy: Im being serious...starters can lock up but when you test them they will run out fine.... i had a he!! of a time when i first started on a 91 integra figuring out why it wouldn't turn over.... the starter wouldn't spin or anything...i took it to get it tested and he was saying that it was hanging up...so not really sure but that is the only thing that comes to mind is that sitting for that long the starter sort of bound up and you might just end up having to get it replaced...I know this post probably wasn't much help and I might catch hell for it but good luck to you man! :)

Update:

I tried putting a new ignition switch and main relay in this morning to no avail. I've inspected the wires and don't see any obvious signs of wear/abrasion. So I've done everything I know about... Fuses are good, ignition switch is good, main relay is good, wires look okay, and started is functioning. I'm at a loss.

I'm still wondering if it is a control or relay (ex. if the clutch is up it won't let you start the car). Any ideas out there will be much appreciated?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived