A Little Newbie Help

aesmith0506

I Just Recently Purchased A '96 Acura Integra LS (Which Has The B18b?) I Am Trying To Find Out How I Can Get The Most HP Out Of This Motor As Possible. If You Could Tell Me What Mods I Need To Do And In What Order.. I Am Very New To The "Tuner" World But I Would Really Appreciate Any Help.

Start off with an Exhaust/Header/Intake. That's a base mods... It'll just make the engine breathe a bit better.

Next stop is doing all the internals (of which I know nothing about, the other guys can advise you there).

If you wanna get the most HP you can, you're gonna have to turbo it, which costs a bomb, and you'll have to upgrade your internals anyway, as turbocharging an engine really abuses the crap out of it, and will hamper the reliability. It's not a thing to do if you haven't got the faintest idea what you are doing. There is a whole lot of info in this part of the forum: http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/forum/7-engine-tuning-upgrades-and-swaps/

Have a read through, and search for what help you need before you ask (not meaning to be rude, but there are at least 10 new threads a week made asking the same damn question about turbocharging).

Remember, if you are going to make your engine fast and powerful as hell, you are going to need to upgrade other parts of the car, you'll need bigger and better brakes, and better suspension parts. There ain't no point being able to go 150mph if you can't stop or go around a corner.

Also, Don't Cap Every Word You Type. It makes it impossible to read.

Thank you very much for all your help.. and sorry about the caps, its a bad habbit I aqquired several years ago. I was looking at some headers. Which ones do you guys recomend? the 1 peice (4-1) or the 2 piece (4-2-1)

Thank you very much for all your help.. and sorry about the caps, its a bad habbit I aqquired several years ago. I was looking at some headers. Which ones do you guys recomend? the 1 peice (4-1) or the 2 piece (4-2-1)

well i see nobody responded so ill respond...your header selection depends on what goals you have? lets start with whether or not you will be going forced induction or natural aspiration? (turbo,supercharger=forced induction & natural aspiration=all motor) if you are going to go turbo i would just save my money on a header and run your stock exhaust manifold and just purchase a turbo kit which will include a turbo manifold (if you purchase a good kit)...but if you are going with natural aspiration then 4-1 will get you top end power (which will be good in a race application with peak horsepower gains in the range of 6000rpm +) and 4-2-1 will give you more mid range power...the 4-1 headers will not give you as much power unless you plan on building the head... so if you give a little more information like horsepower goals, budget, and whether or not car can be out of commission then a little more help will be available...keep us updated! and good luck with the build! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't build it or can't do it cause you can just be patient and diligent.

we didnt respond because its been covered so many times.. regulars are getting bored answering the same stuff over and over and over

I actually didn't intend it to come across that way... i guess it was a broad statement so misunderstanding was gonna happen but what i actually meant was that nobody had responded YET so i would post for him! :) sorry if it was taken offensively!

I Just Recently Purchased A '96 Acura Integra LS (Which Has The B18b?) I Am Trying To Find Out How I Can Get The Most HP Out Of This Motor As Possible. If You Could Tell Me What Mods I Need To Do And In What Order.. I Am Very New To The "Tuner" World But I Would Really Appreciate Any Help.

well i would say cold air intake and an exshaust system maybe even swap the head and put vtec or turbo

well i would say cold air intake and an exshaust system maybe even swap the head and put vtec or turbo

well...not saying your wrong, but I don't think you are right... He stated that he was very new to the "tuner (import) scene" and really exhaust isn't going to give him that much gain because he doesn' t have extensive modifications done already where his undersized exhaust would make it hard for the motor to breath...and putting a vtec head on a b18b is not easy, is not cheap, and will not gain a lot of hp for his investment.... Instead of dropping $500 plus in putting a vtech head on it i would just buy some low compression pistons, rods, arp head studs, block guard and get the motor ready for a turbo! or you can go high compression if you are wanting naturally aspirated.... so best thing you can do man is...do your research....find out what your goals are.... figure out what parts you are gonna need to get there.....pick the parts out you want (read reviews)....and then start your build. Don't just go buy a bunch of crap and slap it on there not caring if the parts compliment each other, that's the perfect recipe for RICE! also any more questions feel free to ask...someone will answer you....

you are really new to the world honda too but you cant just do a vtec head. its called a lsvtec.

this is just what i think

well...not saying your wrong, but I don't think you are right... He stated that he was very new to the "tuner (import) scene" and really exhaust isn't going to give him that much gain because he doesn' t have extensive modifications done already where his undersized exhaust would make it hard for the motor to breath...and putting a vtec head on a b18b is not easy, is not cheap, and will not gain a lot of hp for his investment.... Instead of dropping $500 plus in putting a vtech head on it i would just buy some low compression pistons, rods, arp head studs, block guard and get the motor ready for a turbo! or you can go high compression if you are wanting naturally aspirated.... so best thing you can do man is...do your research....find out what your goals are.... figure out what parts you are gonna need to get there.....pick the parts out you want (read reviews)....and then start your build. Don't just go buy a bunch of crap and slap it on there not caring if the parts compliment each other, that's the perfect recipe for RICE! also any more questions feel free to ask...someone will answer you....

ok for a na build. i would not do this.dont really see alot of ppl do this either. and for a ls/vtec..... yea you will not get much power out of this. plus there is alot you have to do. your block is not build for that high rev of 8000-8500 rpms. it would work for a while but you will blow it really fast....... the nice thing is if you do have a b18b then someone has done a swap already. to a jdm motor. i would just look at what you want to do. i would go boost and go with a gsr trans with lsd.. i think you would be in good shape but its just what you want out of it.

what is with ppl not starting a intor thread anymore. ppl should read the f RULES

ok for a na build. i would not do this.dont really see alot of ppl do this either. and for a ls/vtec..... yea you will not get much power out of this. plus there is alot you have to do. your block is not build for that high rev of 8000-8500 rpms. it would work for a while but you will blow it really fast....... the nice thing is if you do have a b18b then someone has done a swap already. to a jdm motor. i would just look at what you want to do. i would go boost and go with a gsr trans with lsd.. i think you would be in good shape but its just what you want out of it.

what is with ppl not starting a intor thread anymore. ppl should read the f RULES

he would have a b18b from the factory that wouldn't necessarily have to be a jdm swap...but yea i will agree with you that forced induction is the way to go i simply was listing his options....

B18B1

NON-VTEC

Found in:

1994-2001 Acura Integra "RS/LS/GS/SE" (DC4/DB7)

Displacement: 1,834 cc (111.9 cu in)

Compression: 9.2:1

Bore: 81 mm (3.2 in)

Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in)

Rod Length: 137.01 mm (5.394")

Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.54

Power: 142 hp (106 kW) @ 6300 rpm & 127 ft·lbf (172 N·m) @ 5200 rpm

Redline: 6800 rpm

Rev Limit: 7200 rpm

Transmission: Y80/S80

he would have a b18b from the factory that wouldn't necessarily have to be a jdm swap...but yea i will agree with you that forced induction is the way to go i simply was listing his options....

B18B1

NON-VTEC

Found in:

1994-2001 Acura Integra "RS/LS/GS/SE" (DC4/DB7)

Displacement: 1,834 cc (111.9 cu in)

Compression: 9.2:1

Bore: 81 mm (3.2 in)

Stroke: 89 mm (3.5 in)

Rod Length: 137.01 mm (5.394")

Rod/Stroke Ratio: 1.54

Power: 142 hp (106 kW) @ 6300 rpm & 127 ft·lbf (172 N·m) @ 5200 rpm

Redline: 6800 rpm

Rev Limit: 7200 rpm

Transmission: Y80/S80

good job you got the specs for a usdm motor the last time i checked and jdm motor would have no number after the letter. so b18b would be a jdm motor. which is what he said and a b18b1 would be a usdm which is a us motor. so thank you come again.

in his post he said b18b which means yes he has a jdm swap

well since you feel like being a $m@rt@$$ check his post again...he said (B18B?) which to me meant that he didn't know if it was even a b18b1 or not...so whatever man.....you sure you want me to cum again! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Start off with an Exhaust/Header/Intake. That's a base mods... It'll just make the engine breathe a bit better.

Next stop is doing all the internals (of which I know nothing about, the other guys can advise you there).

If you wanna get the most HP you can, you're gonna have to turbo it, which costs a bomb, and you'll have to upgrade your internals anyway, as turbocharging an engine really abuses the crap out of it, and will hamper the reliability. It's not a thing to do if you haven't got the faintest idea what you are doing. There is a whole lot of info in this part of the forum: http://www.hondaforums.com/index.php?/forum/7-engine-tuning-upgrades-and-swaps/

Have a read through, and search for what help you need before you ask (not meaning to be rude, but there are at least 10 new threads a week made asking the same damn question about turbocharging).

Remember, if you are going to make your engine fast and powerful as hell, you are going to need to upgrade other parts of the car, you'll need bigger and better brakes, and better suspension parts. There ain't no point being able to go 150mph if you can't stop or go around a corner.

Also, Don't Cap Every Word You Type. It makes it impossible to read.

co-signed

good job you got the specs for a usdm motor the last time i checked and jdm motor would have no number after the letter. so b18b would be a jdm motor. which is what he said and a b18b1 would be a usdm which is a us motor. so thank you come again.

in his post he said b18b which means yes he has a jdm swap

no such thing as a b18b motor chief.

he has a b1, and it was OEM in that car,

get your sh1t right before you post.

got you the jdm motor is a b18a sorry

THANK YOU! does "got you the jdm motor is a b18a sorry" translate into.....???? OH YES IT DOES!!! I WAS RIGHT! :) lol

Oh and to add to my victory dance im doing right now... the JDM b18a is not even in the same group as b18a1, b18b1, b18c5, etc. so you might wanna crack that book open again....yea the one that made you think you knew everything!

Archived