O2 Sensor Help

Hello to all!

To give a brief background I have a 2001 Honda Accord that has about 148,000 miles on it; bought it brand new on July 4th, 2001. The car has been nothing but superb for me and given me no problems at all up until this point.

I went for my state inspection and my check engine light was on; Honda ran a diagnostic check on it and came back with the code "P0135" stating it was the "O2 Sensor Heater Circuit; bank 1 sensor 1. Will need to replace Primary I2 Sensor based upon code" I am a car novice at best and know really nothing about cars except how to drive them and put gas in them. My question is they want $400 to replace this part and I am sure it can be done for much less.. is this a simple fix? Are there any guides that can walk me through doing this? How do I know I'm getting the right part?

I was also told that my timing belt is starting to wear down and should be replaced soon. Are there any other belts or items I should look at replacing along with the timing belt?

Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- Joe

i agree with sarah. if you replace the timing belt make sure you change the tensioner and water pump. the o2 sensor isnt hard to change. any parts store should have the socket to fit the o2 sensor. when you put the new o2 sensor in make sure you use some anti-seize so if you have to replace it again later on it wont be a pita to get out. im assuming its the one on the exhaust manifold so it should be easy to get to

So after doing a little bit more research on the O2 sensor it appears my car has two of them; one on the exhaust manifold and one on the catalytic converter. The specific error code I found online was this:

"P0135 Front HO2S Heater Circuit Fault (Sensor 1)"

Any idea which O2 sensor I may need to replace based upon this information?

Is the exhaust manifold near the front motor mount? I ask because I took my car to get inspected and that had to be replaced. When I left the lot is when the check engine light came on and I was diagnosed with this code. I am thinking there is a good chance I may not even need a new O2 sensor but think maybe they didn't put it back properly.

Would they need to remove the sensor or work near it if replacing a front motor mount? I just find it highly coincidental that this car has 148,000 miles on it and literally has never given me a single problem and the moment I leave the lot is when this occurs.

Archived