help please!!!

blazeilly024

I have a stock 95 civic dx that is overheating and I can't figure out the cause. My first impression was to replace the thermostat. Did that, still overheating. I checked the cooling fan relay and fuse both of those are fine too. Cooling fan turns on and off as it should. Coolant level in radiator is good and water pump appears to be flowing coolant.

If there is anybody out there that knows about honda cooling issues I would greatly appreciate any help that your willing to give me until then I'm stuck.

Thank you.

whens the last time u flushed the system?

Well... Here's the thing about that. I've never actually flushed the system, awhile back I had some head work done and I had to drain it but now I believe I have a head gasket leak because the antifreeze is constantly low and I have to add coolant on a daily basis.

Tell me what you think I am willing to try anything.

i was thinking headgasket is going bad.. you dont want to keep running your car hot then cold hot then cold.. youll either crack your head or youll get water/antifreeze in your cylinder and crack a cylinder..

check:

oil - see if it looks milky, coolant in oil

coolant - oil in coolant?

white smoke coming out of tailpipe?

bubbles in the overflow?

if you say yes to any of that it is headgasket.. if the answer is no do not drive it till its fixed otherwise it will be a headgasket problem

could possibly be radiator.. check for very small leaks.. but keep in mind it could be damaged or blocked internally.. also check all hoses (including the back of the motor.. it could be dripping on something and not pooling under the car)

also have you modified the car lately? if a car is not running properly it can run hotter (timing messed up etc)

you have a leak check your hoses, whens the last you replaced your rad?

Ya that's gonna be the next thing I do. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up replacing the entire cooling system before its all said and done, I definitely appreciate all of the help that u have provided. In the future I will try to return the favor

Thx

check:

oil - see if it looks milky, coolant in oil

coolant - oil in coolant?

white smoke coming out of tailpipe?

bubbles in the overflow?

if you say yes to any of that it is headgasket.. if the answer is no do not drive it till its fixed otherwise it will be a headgasket problem

could possibly be radiator.. check for very small leaks.. but keep in mind it could be damaged or blocked internally.. also check all hoses (including the back of the motor.. it could be dripping on something and not pooling under the car)

also have you modified the car lately? if a car is not running properly it can run hotter (timing messed up etc)

Hey thx for all ur help. U have been really helpful. My friend is coming over with a pressure tester, so that will give me a better idea of what's goin on. I already have plans of replacing the radiator, I think it might be faulty.

Hey thx for all ur help.

• 2 weeks later...

pressure tester will help you find leaks you had no idea were there

Good luck and ask if you need anything else

Hey, I just replaced the head gasket without any problems, but the car is still runnin hot! Its not overheating anymore but its still jus below the red mark on extended journeys (mainly freeways). From what I've been hearing it might be the water pump, but I'm kinda hesitant on replacing it because I don't really know what the problem is. Hence my reason for asking for your expertise on this matter. If you have any ideas or suggestions I'm willin to try em.

• 3 weeks later...

when was the last time it was even changed?

I would have done timing belt and waterpump at the same time as the headgasket

also did you check the radiator for any leaks and flush the system as previously stated?

This damn car is beginning to really irritate me! Ok. I did replace the the head gasket but not the water pump or the timing belt, I probably should have but its really simple to get to and I jus figured I could do it later. I didn't see why that would lead to the car overheating tho. I haven't fully flushed the system either because every time I change or replace a coolin part I always drain the system.

Its doin a little bit better, jus slightly tho, its still heating up on the highway or whenever I get on it a little bit, but if I keep my foot out of it then it doesn't usually go past midway on the temp guage. I haven't checked the water pump yet but I went and got one from the junk yard the other day jus cause I was there. But to be truthful, after looking at the water pump I don't even see anything on it that could fail.

So once again I'm bak here to take advantage of others expertise. Some one PLEASE HELP !!! This car is drivin me insane!!!!!!!

when was the last time it was even changed?

I would have done timing belt and waterpump at the same time as the headgasket

also did you check the radiator for any leaks and flush the system as previously stated?

This damn car is beginning to really irritate me! Ok. I did replace the the head gasket but not the water pump or the timing belt, I probably should have but its really simple to get to and I jus figured I could do it later. I didn't see why that would lead to the car overheating tho. I haven't fully flushed the system either because every time I change or replace a coolin part I always drain the system.

Its doin a little bit better, jus slightly tho, its still heating up on the highway or whenever I get on it a little bit, but if I keep my foot out of it then it doesn't usually go past midway on the temp guage. I haven't checked the water pump yet but I went and got one from the junk yard the other day jus cause I was there. But to be truthful, after looking at the water pump I don't even see anything on it that could fail.

So once again I'm bak here to take advantage of others expertise. Some one PLEASE HELP !!! This car is drivin me insane!!!!!!!

if your water pump is leaking any water while it is running then you need a new water pump, i seen that you said something about a pressure tester, how did that turn out? you need to hold at least 15 pounds of pressure for a couple minutes. if it drops rapidly you have a leak. and as far as the headgasket problem make sure all the bolts are tight and no loose areas. hope this helped

if your water pump is leaking any water while it is running then you need a new water pump, i seen that you said something about a pressure tester, how did that turn out? you need to hold at least 15 pounds of pressure for a couple minutes. if it drops rapidly you have a leak. and as far as the headgasket problem make sure all the bolts are tight and no loose areas. hope this helped

Thx pumpkin: I actually did pressure test the system here just this weekend, sadly enough its holdin at 15 psi I even walked away for a lil while cause I had forgotten about it and when I returned it was still holdin at 15 so I'm pretty sure I don't have a leak. But where the hell am I losing coolant at? Could I possibly have a cracked cylinder wall or something relative. I hope not but I'm jus that desperate to at least find out the problem. I'm ready to pull my hair out dealing with this thing. I would definitely appreciate any more info or input u have.

Thx man.

Archived