Newbie with Del Sol in Winter question

Willie

Hi! Willie here in TN. I just joined this forum in an effort to get some unbiased (if possible) opinions of how the Del Sol is in Winter weather driving conditions. I've begun looking for an economical fun car that would be decent come Winter. I haven't actually driven a Del Sol yet, although I'm really looking forward to it, but am confident I'll enjoy it. However, regardless of how much fun the car is in the Summer, I really need a car that can get around in the snow. Sooooo, all you who have driven Del Sols in the snow...how does the car behave?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Willie

Hi! Willie here in TN. I just joined this forum in an effort to get some unbiased (if possible) opinions of how the Del Sol is in Winter weather driving conditions. I've begun looking for an economical fun car that would be decent come Winter. I haven't actually driven a Del Sol yet, although I'm really looking forward to it, but am confident I'll enjoy it. However, regardless of how much fun the car is in the Summer, I really need a car that can get around in the snow. Sooooo, all you who have driven Del Sols in the snow...how does the car behave?

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Willie

Honestly my 3 Del Sol's have handled better than most of my other cars I have had in the winter. Good tires, with nice sipping and you are good to go.

had a del sol as my daily when i was living north of philly, down in WV, and in MD, handled great in the snow. Right now I have another one that is my daily as well and it goes up Mt. Hood on a frequent basis.

portland-oregon-skyline1.jpg

That is mt.hood and that picture was taken in the middle of summer to give you an idea of how snowy i can get in winter.

what part of TN?

i drove mine through TX when there was a foot of snow on the side of the roads.. i was shoveling snow down the interstate but it didnt do too horrible

Thanks for the responses guys. Great tag there Mr. Pearce! The tag on my MINI is 1MINIAC. Beautiful pic of Mt Hood, CM! And Brian, about the only thing I miss about living on the Left Coast is the scenery, especially at the beach ;). I've been living in NE Tenn between Knoxville and Bristol for the past 11 yrs and love it. The roads are some of the best I've had the pleasure to ride and drive on and the lakes aren't crowded. Cost of livin is pretty low too. Biggest bummer is the lack of jobs. I was unemployed for a couple of yrs before landing a QA inspector's gig that paid half what I was making as an engineer. Not complaining though, if anything, I'm thankful to have something. Thats why I need an economical car thats reliable in the Winter to make the 60 mile roundtrip commute to work. My truck doesn't have 4wd or even posi. Its like a turtle on its back in the snow and the MINI has got to go to catch up on some bills. :( I'm really looking forward to checking out a DelSol.

Thanks again, one and all.

Willie

oh okay, you live far from where im from then.. im from murfreesboro..

Yep, I'm a ways from M-boro alright but I think you'll agree that far is a relative term. :)

I visited your ol stomping grounds awhile back. Nice area fer sure. I just prefer the mountains and lakes that this area provides.

I bet you'd agree that both areas are preferable to Ft Irwin.

What really surprised me is that I've seen more car oriented activities around here than I ever saw during my 13 yrs in SoCal. Never expected that.

Willie

Yep, I'm a ways from M-boro alright but I think you'll agree that far is a relative term. smile.gif

I visited your ol stomping grounds awhile back. Nice area fer sure. I just prefer the mountains and lakes that this area provides.

I bet you'd agree that both areas are preferable to Ft Irwin.

What really surprised me is that I've seen more car oriented activities around here than I ever saw during my 13 yrs in SoCal. Never expected that.

Willie

lol yeah i know, IA is bigger than the honda eibach meet now.. crazy how big it got in only 3 years

and yea ft irwin BLOWS, im ready to get my car back in TN.. cali is killing my car!!

Archived