Good Winter Car?

SpeedDemon

sure, if you are able to buy a stock hilux and do that. which you can't

so you mean to tell me that these two trucks are not the same thing:

exterior_image4.jpg

imgToyota%20Hilux1.jpg

i could go to the trouble of linking all the specification pages for the two vehicles and show that they have identical wheel bases, powered by most of the same engines and produce the same power and have the same towing capacity....

only difference is you can get it with a diesel in the rest of the world and they do offer an all terrain package. otherwise the american version is a rubber stamp. just sheet metal changes for visual purposes.

Personally i think your g/f should just learn to drive in the snow, but rather you are going to get her into a car that weighs 2X what her current car does, wont stop any better in the snow (4wd only helps you go, not stop, turn, etc), and pose a larger liability on the road.

Honestly I have driven fwd (lowered del sol, lowered civic, vw golf), rwd (mustang, airport tug, bhudda, camaro), awd (talon, outback, s60) in the snow and ice (im talking about rocky & cascade moutains where chains are MANDATORY, NE winters with summer performance tires, midwest winters all season tires, and ICELAND studded) and as long as you maintain a safe speed, safe distance, and keep alert you will be fine.

Because honestly if she cant handle a FWD car in the snow, she shouldnt be allowed to drive in the snow.

he speaks truth. but still, a nice 4wd cherokee is a blast, especially down in the hills where you are. the state and national forest offer all kinds of orv trails you can day trip on.

strangely enough, the jeep isn't that much heavier then her current car. right around 600 pounds depending on the year hers is and which year cherokee you base your spec on. most 90's cavaliers run ~2400 and 90's cherokee's are ~3000

reading failure :crazy:

she drives 14 miles now, she will be driving 90-100.

and a toyota hilux is a tacoma and always has been. the hilux is just the name the reat of the world uses.

yes. almost 100 miles.

Personally i think your g/f should just learn to drive in the snow, but rather you are going to get her into a car that weighs 2X what her current car does, wont stop any better in the snow (4wd only helps you go, not stop, turn, etc), and pose a larger liability on the road.

Honestly I have driven fwd (lowered del sol, lowered civic, vw golf), rwd (mustang, airport tug, bhudda, camaro), awd (talon, outback, s60) in the snow and ice (im talking about rocky & cascade moutains where chains are MANDATORY, NE winters with summer performance tires, midwest winters all season tires, and ICELAND studded) and as long as you maintain a safe speed, safe distance, and keep alert you will be fine.

Because honestly if she cant handle a FWD car in the snow, she shouldnt be allowed to drive in the snow.

she can drive in the snow up here fine. but her car wont last much longer. so she wants to get something that is good for all season. she just doesnt like the snow. and yeah her problem is getting the car going because: 1) she cant drive a stick(except mine), and all of her cars are automatic and 2) that cavalier just flat out sucks balls. ive driver it in the snow. it spins like a stripper on the pole

yes. almost 100 miles.

she can drive in the snow up here fine. but her car wont last much longer. so she wants to get something that is good for all season. she just doesnt like the snow. and yeah her problem is getting the car going because: 1) she cant drive a stick(except mine), and all of her cars are automatic and 2) that cavalier just flat out sucks balls. ive driver it in the snow. it spins like a stripper on the pole

teach her to drive stick. it's better in wintry conditions than auto, anyway.

That's 100% for sure..The camry get's scary sometimes in the snow..A/t and no abs, certainly makes it interesting.

But Straight up, the 4wd geo tracker, (however unfortunately not selectable) is great off road. I wheeled around with the owner of GRM who had one stock, and on street tires in the florida national forest back in '05. Didn't even come close to getting stuck and went through some area's we prob shouldn't have..including a 1'-2' drop off.

My other pick would be prob one of the cheapest/best you can find all around.. WRX 2.5 RS. Can't beat it.

..However if you guys could track one down, the E30 bmw 325xi is AMAZING in the snow, I have actual first hand experience with this vehicle. It's like a freakin' tank..and even better if you toss a set of blizzaks on it..

whats so special about your car vs every other manual?

she doesnt want to learn.

That's 100% for sure..The camry get's scary sometimes in the snow..A/t and no abs, certainly makes it interesting.

But Straight up, the 4wd geo tracker, (however unfortunately not selectable) is great off road. I wheeled around with the owner of GRM who had one stock, and on street tires in the florida national forest back in '05. Didn't even come close to getting stuck and went through some area's we prob shouldn't have..including a 1'-2' drop off.

My other pick would be prob one of the cheapest/best you can find all around.. WRX 2.5 RS. Can't beat it.

..However if you guys could track one down, the E30 bmw 325xi is AMAZING in the snow, I have actual first hand experience with this vehicle. It's like a freakin' tank..and even better if you toss a set of blizzaks on it..

her mom has a bmw that they dont drive. it needs fixed up though....cant remember what year it is

whats so special about your car vs every other manual?

i was making a funny.

busted ass honda manuals: clutch is optional and there isn't enough torque to punish your neck if you lurch it.

true that.

she needs to learn how to drive

i hate females that insist on not learning how to drive properly

we dont get snow just massive ice storms.. never had a problem in any of my cars.. including my firebird that would have been perfectly content to go down a dry road sideways because it didnt like straight (rain was actually the most difficult to drive in)

she hasnt had anyone to teach her and she is too worried to bother learning. not that she has not attempted it a few times. not everyone must learn to drive a stick shift. and because they dont that doesnt mean they dont drive "properly" . its just their choice of what they want to drive.

i hate people that cant accept that other people are different.

so back to the thread. what CAR/TRUCK would be best?

jeep cherokee

older toyota pickup

90's model subaru legacy

any other suggestions?

a 5spd cherokee is a must, as that 4.0 is a blast!

don't hate me because i think your g/f can't drive. first thing I did when I met my wife was begin teaching her to drive a manual transmission. in earnest, only took about a week for her to get it down and be fully comfortable with it. after a few years she is smoother then i am now.

but 5 speeds are too difficult to bother learning

I personally think people should have to take at minimum a basic auto tech class to even get their license

and it has nothing to do with people being 'different'.. its people not learning how to actually drive a car.. as stated before a 5 speed is better then an auto in many ways so she really should quit being 'worried' and learn to drive one.. its not that hard.. its not like you are putting her in a 500hp 3 stage clutch monster pressure plate car.. put her in your car.. let her stall it out a few times.. and then take her on some hills with no one behind you

autos are decent in cities as they dont tear up a clutch.. but ive been in plenty of traffic with no problem.. the other reason people buy autos is because they cant concentrate on the road while shifting and need they easiest possible transportation so they can rock out to their kesha music without having to worry about 'shifting' laugh.gif

and if someone doesnt 'like' snow/ice and doesnt want to learn how to drive a car that would best in it then none of those are going to matter and you might as well buy something that you dont care if she hits something in.. probably a car so if she hits someone else it might do less damage then a truck to the other person... pretty much what cory said about just learning to drive in the snow.. no vehicle is going to be magical in the snow and make someone the best snow driver ever

I was taught to drive a manual by my bro in law putting me in his *built* 240z and saying figure it out.. after a MASSIVE stall out I learned quickly and within the hour he was teaching me how to shift quickly and smoothly.. until someone called the cops on us driving around the neighborhood too quickly of course LOL

There was a report recently release by the ntsb noting several years of research that manual transmission vehicles are safer to drive then automatics for two reasons: first is that the required shifting and more complicated pedal work causes drivers to be more alert when driving, and second is that since both hands are frequently used it is far more difficult to engage in activities that can distract the driver, such as texting, eating and talking on the cell phone, as such people engage in these activities less often.

If your girlfriend isn't confident driving in wintry conditions, then it isn't going to matter what vehicle you put her in. You have to know how to drive in such weather, how to react in the event something unexpected happens. Put her in something that she feels comfortable in, and then teach her how to properly maneuver in different situations.

Archived