SAVE THE MANUALS!!!

RandyAM

haven't seen it, but it has certainly been the trend.

with the exception of full size trucks which you can't get in a manual and haven't for 20 years I refuse to ever own an automatic. if that means i drive my civic for the next 40 years so be it.

All jokes aside, my aunt and mother taught me how to drive a manual transmission. I knew how to drive it before I had my license.

learned in a 1989 hyundai excell, took my drivers test in it, was the only person that day to take my drivers license in a manual haha.

My sig says it all, hehe. Learned to drive in a 2000 Honda Accord 5-spd, took my test in it, and plan on sticking with standards. Hated the Subie's autotragic, but I can stomach it in our Pilot... If I ever need an SUV though, I'll get a manual Element or CR-V.

Drive the right vehicle and you won't sweat not having a standard transmission at all --

I wish they'd figure out how to build a beefy enough transmission for our bucket trucks at work.

Seven forward non synchronized ass gears tend to clash and the clutch is practically non-existent due to the fact that you use it for two things.

Going into first/second/third (dependent on what you want to start in), and going into reverse -- try using it under normal circumstances and you'll never find your gear.

manual comm trucks are the best. for years i drove an 86 gmc 24 foot box truck with a big block and a 5 speed. gear box was so trashed that to get it into second nearly required two hands. when it did engage the accompanying clang could be heard from 50 yards away. 7 gears would have been delightful. gears in this were way to short to skip one and have a hope of hitting 55 anytime in under a minute.

manual comm trucks are the best. for years i drove an 86 gmc 24 foot box truck with a big block and a 5 speed. gear box was so trashed that to get it into second nearly required two hands. when it did engage the accompanying clang could be heard from 50 yards away. 7 gears would have been delightful. gears in this were way to short to skip one and have a hope of hitting 55 anytime in under a minute.

aforementioned trucks top out at about 56 miles per hour. do the math on how fast you can go when you've pegged each gear out. if you try to shift too fast -- CRRRRRRRRRRRRRNCH, if you try to shift too slow -- CRRRRRRRRRRRNCH.

It was a pain in the ass to learn. I've got them figured out now though. International is GARBAGE. And were it not for the fact Spicer DOES make a decent transmission I'd say they were too.

my truck had a mechanical rpm limiter on the carb, yes it was carbed, that capped the top speed at about 56/57. Do the math on that disaster. You try accelerating uphill with a load and you are bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd or 3rd trying to get some semblance of momentum before merging on the highway. Trying to merge into traffic when I am only doing 30mph nets me lots of fingers.

hell, a gently rolling hill when loaded gave me fits on the highway trying to keep the speed over 45 with the damn limiter.

my truck had a mechanical rpm limiter on the carb, yes it was carbed, that capped the top speed at about 56/57. Do the math on that disaster. You try accelerating uphill with a load and you are bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd or 3rd trying to get some semblance of momentum before merging on the highway. Trying to merge into traffic when I am only doing 30mph nets me lots of fingers.

hell, a gently rolling hill when loaded gave me fits on the highway trying to keep the speed over 45 with the damn limiter.

i lol'd. @ all of this.

My gurlfriend and her parents are in Ontario right now, and they have a Mazda3 5 Speed, and I've been teaching myself, i seem to have got it down pat. only took me 15 minutes, and about 5 stalls

Having a stage 2 clutch as well as a lightweight flywheel I do find it more annoying to drive in stop and go traffic now than when I had a stock setup, which was already annoying. I love it and probably wont go auto until I'm old, I'm just saying it can get tedious sometimes.

Having a stage 2 clutch as well as a lightweight flywheel I do find it more annoying to drive in stop and go traffic now than when I had a stock setup, which was already annoying. I love it and probably wont go auto until I'm old, I'm just saying it can get tedious sometimes.

i agree with the stop and go traffic part... right after i did my swap to my b18c with its 4.785 final, stage 2 clutch and lightweight flywheel is a little ruff lol... 1st, tap gas, neutral, coast... repeat lol... but u get used to it so quick, i drove auto my first few years of driving and regret it... when i was switching over to a manual i thought that i would get tired of it... i just hate it more now when i have to drive a auto... i literally get confused when driving a auto cause i always feel like im supposed to be doing something.

o and ive cause myself a few time having to drive a auto and after backing up i slam it into park cause i want to go forward for 1st hahaha

I constantly brake check in an auto as I am dropping me left foot down on the 'clutch' to shift at the correct time and end up stomping on the corner of the brake pedal instead.

I constantly brake check in an auto as I am dropping me left foot down on the 'clutch' to shift at the correct time and end up stomping on the corner of the brake pedal instead.

haha i do the same thing lol

I was like that at first too. I now drive autos with no residual feeling of a manual.

This will date me...again....but I learned to drive stick on three different patterns simultaneously...

1974 Porsche 914 (thus the del sol connection); R was above 1

1980 Honda Civic; standard (read same as most today)

1984 Volkswagon; R-1-3-5 on top

I only tried to shove it into "honda's" first gear once while in the Porche...though my Dad was in the car with me at the time...

BTW Xeryron - My 2002 Dodge Ram is a manual and if you go to the 2500 class you can still get most domestic trucks with a manual...

In consumer grade trucks there are no v8 manual options. true that in commercial products manual trans is much more prevalent. sadly, my 2500 ram is an auto slipping disaster.

Archived