Suspension Setup for a DD

Ok instead of jacking prestons thread ill start my own. i planned on going with tokico blues because of the constant positive feedback. but im stuck on what coilovers to use. i dont want to break the bank too bad. but im looking for something that will be stiffer(not railroad stiff) but not squishy like oem.

i would also like to be able to lower the car for summer driving and raise it for winter. this will be my only car.

im looking to drop the car around 2" to 2.75" at the most. i dont want it slammed like brians del sol, but a bit more lower than cmgogo's del sol

ill also be getting the following:

Skunk2 camber kit

Benen Front Lower Tie bar

Benen Rear Lower Tie bar

Blox LCA's

and maybe a 3 point strut tower bar for the front. but for the strut tower bars, i have cheap ones now, will those do fine?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its so cool you can get seperate coils and struts for honda tongue.gif

i hate skunk 2 and megan

Stop complaining about how expensive crap is for your supras. you bought the damn things! :crazy:

david, just pick something already. you been talking about this for 6 months now.

meh i never had problem with being lowered in the winter when i lived out east, i think ya all are just being panzies.

Thant and honestly david, with the ammount of salt they throw on the roads out there you are going to have to be ANAL about keeping your suspension clean and protected (por15, wd40) or something that is going to create a corrosion prevention barrier. Even out here on the west coast where we dont use salt i get under my car twice a year with a pressure washer and completely clean the undercarriadge and coat it with new cpc.

constantly adjusting for summer/winter will be a pita at best. i bet you don't do it more then once.

my f&f coils are so ridiculously corroded on the threaded body I am pretty sure they may never adjust up or down again - and i have 3k miles on them over the last two years and i don't even drive this car when it rains, let alone snows.

constantly adjusting for summer/winter will be a pita at best. i bet you don't do it more then once.

my f&f coils are so ridiculously corroded on the threaded body I am pretty sure they may never adjust up or down again - and i have 3k miles on them over the last two years and i don't even drive this car when it rains, let alone snows.

Not to mention if you are going to be going up and down by 1.5" to 2"s are you planning to get alignments 2 times a year??:laugh:

just get ground control. dont get them off egay either, get them from a legit seller or direct so if you have a problem you can get it worked out asap.

for the winter, just put your stock ish back on, that way the suspension lasts longer and doesnt get ruined by salt etc.

thats what i was doing, id pull all my suspension, take it apart and wash it til it looked brand new, throw it in the box and leave it in my room all winter.

meh i never had problem with being lowered in the winter when i lived out east, i think ya all are just being panzies.

Thant and honestly david, with the ammount of salt they throw on the roads out there you are going to have to be ANAL about keeping your suspension clean and protected (por15, wd40) or something that is going to create a corrosion prevention barrier. Even out here on the west coast where we dont use salt i get under my car twice a year with a pressure washer and completely clean the undercarriadge and coat it with new cpc.

i already get under the car twice a year anyways. once after winter and once right before winter

nah i wouldnt mind doing it

Not to mention if you are going to be going up and down by 1.5" to 2"s are you planning to get alignments 2 times a year??:laugh:

did not think about that at all.....that changes things then. because alignments are expensive as hell down here

just get ground control. dont get them off egay either, get them from a legit seller or direct so if you have a problem you can get it worked out asap.

for the winter, just put your stock ish back on, that way the suspension lasts longer and doesnt get ruined by salt etc.

thats what i was doing, id pull all my suspension, take it apart and wash it til it looked brand new, throw it in the box and leave it in my room all winter.

i would do that...but my stock suspension kinda sucks ass lol...struts are nearly gone. i feel every little rock in the road anymore

ok...since i didnt count on getting alignments twice a year.....what would be a decent lowering spring? lol

i already get under the car twice a year anyways. once after winter and once right before winter

nah i wouldnt mind doing it

did not think about that at all.....that changes things then. because alignments are expensive as hell down here

i would do that...but my stock suspension kinda sucks ass lol...struts are nearly gone. i feel every little rock in the road anymore

ok...since i didnt count on getting alignments twice a year.....what would be a decent lowering spring? lol

Loved all 3 sets of my Teins, looking forward to seeing what Ksports will do and they are even cheaper, but they have a decent name.

Ksports will do 2.2" front, and 2.0" rear, Tiens will do 1.9" front, and 1.5" rear.

see thats where you need to do your research and find out what spring rates you really want. You already know what i pitch (the skunk2's) but also realize i like a hard stiff suspension.

However do realize the sol is my DD, and I Do take it for 2-3+ hour roadtrips, and while everyone here whines about skunk's being to hard of a ride, i find that its a perfect blend of stiffness and flex.

see i dont mind it at all. as long as it doesnt feel like im driving on stone wheels.

ill look into teins, skunk2, ksport(might be a bit too low), and D2(blueridge motorsports)

its not uncommon for there to be 4 people in my hatch at times. so i dont want it to rub the fender wells if i get 800lbs+ in there

...but also realize i like a hard stiff suspension.

So that's what they call it these days?

Really depends on your region an roads what feels best. Economy has hit Ohio hard, maintenance budgets have been cut, and driving the highways in the civic gives your kidneys a workout lately. Hit one so deep a couple weeks ago that I scraped the rocker pretty bad. I love my super stiff F&F's, but lately the stock ride on the vw has been a blessing.

Archived