This might help someone else

donsrods

We finally found the fix to a problem we had been chasing on my 1994 Honda Accord LX, and I thought I would post what we found in case it might help someone else.

Long story short. about a month ago my check engine light came on and the car started cutting out at exactly 2500 rpms in every gear. It was like I was bouncing off the rev limiter. The car also wouldn't idle and would stall. If I turned the key off and restarted it the light would go out and the car would run normally. I never knew when the problem was going to happen so I was afraid to drive it. Sometimes it wouldn't happen for a week, sometimes it happened twice in a day.......very intermittent.

I took it to a garage near my shop owned by a pretty good mechanic and he replaced the ISC Motor ($ 446.00 bill) because the car was also surging at idle when it was cold. That cleared up the surging issue, but a few days later the check engine light situation happened again. I took it back to him but when he hooked up his scanner it showed no codes or problems. I replaced the main fuel pump relay on my own, just in case ( $ 96.00 part) He told me next time the light came on leave it on an bring the car back to him. A week later the light came on and I drove right to his shop. Hooked up the scanner and it still had no codes.

I replaced the fuel filter (what a horrible job that is.........I still have cuts all over my arms from trying to get it out and the new one in) I also changed the oil and filter, replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires. ( $ 160.00 more in parts) On the way home from my shop the check engine light came back on and it started cutting out again. I noticed it was cutting out exactly at 2500 rpms in every gear. As I would go through the gears it would start popping and missing exactly at 2500 each time.

I went finally to a Honda dealer and spoke to a Service Advisor there. He had never seen exactly that problem, but after talking to him I went to the parts department and bought a new ignition switch (the electrical part, not the tumbler portion) Reason for that was that the Service guy mentioned Honda had a recall on these on model years 94-97 at one time and I decided for $ 56.00 it was worth a shot. I installed the new switch and the problem has gone away. I just took a 5 hour trip yesterday and it ran like new. I'm sure if we hadn't fixed it the problem certainly would have happened on that long of a trip.

We tore apart the old ignition switch and found several contacts that seemed compromised. One was a little black, and two had their surfaces worn down to the copper and some gouges in them. My theory is that the switch was worn out and sometimes would lose contact, feeding the computer less juice than it needed, or something like that. When I would turn the key off it would sort of get better contact until maybe it heated up or something. (I noticed the problem was worse during the heat of the day, like something was being affected by the heat)

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I wanted anyone who might run into this to have the full story. I figured it might save them chasing their tail like we have been doing for so long.

Don

good advice to know. thanks for the info

You're welcome. I just figured someone else might run into the same problem and it might save them some trouble. It was really frustrating and made me afraid to drive the car anywhere far.

Don

You're welcome. I just figured someone else might run into the same problem and it might save them some trouble. It was really frustrating and made me afraid to drive the car anywhere far.

Don

Just an update. I've now put about a thousand more miles on the car since changing the ignition switch and have had no more problems. Knock on wood, this seems to be what cured it finally.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...