Brembo + Hawk

Since this is one of the most popular combos of street brakes thought i'd post this up

front brake has always had a slight noise to it.. but i also knew that the hawks were known to make noise sometimes so i didnt pay much attention

I have had these brakes on since september of 2008 btw.. most driving is highway so brakes last a while with me

past couple days ive heard a metal on metal grinding and couldnt figure out wtf it was.. pads are still at least 3/4 good.. and the dust cover wasnt hitting anything.. front of rotor looked perfect as well.. we pulled the caliper off today (well chris did because they impacted the hell out of the bolts and he somehow managed to break them lose) and we saw this:

DSCF5028.jpg

DSCF5030.jpg

DSCF5032.jpg

if you cant tell from the pic the pad has somehow cut INTO the rotor (that or the rotor had a perfect soft spot that allows the rotor to be shaved away instead of the pad)

we dremled the pad down in that area to make it workable for now and so it wouldnt continue to cut into the rotor, made the sound worse though lol

probably ordering new front pads and rotors tomorrow, debating on sticking with hawk/brembo or going with another good street combo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pics dont show how bad that crap really looked in person lol

probably should have taken more angled pics but we needed to get it done.. started pouring rain right after that

and now we have *2* 7m's to rebuild that needs to be done before aug. 28th because we might be going to a show (16/18 spots reserved for the supras are mki, mkii's, and mkiv's... i was like wtf i have two mkiii's we will bring them lol havent heard back about passes yet so idk)

and we have been trying to get my motor pulled apart but between chris working and working/living 150 miles away its been a PITA.. got most of the motor pulled apart.. just need crank bolt out.. then put it back together after honing the cylinder walls

back to original topic.. WTF

I use Brembo discs, but I've always used Raybestos ceramic pads. Saved my life, or at least my cars life immediately after installing them. Almost pulled out into traffic but a car came at the last minute and it stopped on a friggin dime. I kinda want to try different pads to be more knowledgeable. But I only change them 2 years or so and I don't want something inferior :sad: Doesn't anyone do side by side comparisons?

idk

ive never heard anything bad about hawk but idk where the hell this came from.. i dont like having to buy all new stuff cause a rotor is getting ate up

i emailed hawk and was like wtf.. hopefully i'll hear back from them in the AM

I wasn't a fan of my brembo blank hawk hps set-up at all..The braking performance sucked. Everyone recommends the set-up and going with a blank rotor and is the reason why I got it way back when.

I'd say get the ATE rotors and hawk HP+ pads from tirerack.com. They had the best prices I saw any where. $47ea. for the rotors...and by far is one of the best braking set-ups I've ever drove.

what about the ebc greenstuff? i wanna say iv heard good stuff about them but cant remember. iv heard baer rotors are good as well.

Not really that great..I've talked to a lot of guys at the track and they've tried the ebc's. They all were disappointed with their performance and went back to hawk's or more track car only products like carbotech etc....some of the cars were nissan's, honda's, lotus', camaro's, miata's/rx-8's,...Never talked to any of the STI/EVO guys though..they usually have opposing heat's.

I wasn't a fan of my brembo blank hawk hps set-up at all..The braking performance sucked. Everyone recommends the set-up and going with a blank rotor and is the reason why I got it way back when.

I'd say get the ATE rotors and hawk HP+ pads from tirerack.com. They had the best prices I saw any where. $47ea. for the rotors...and by far is one of the best braking set-ups I've ever drove.

hawk hp+ says for autocross/track

not quite sure if i get enough heat in them for them to work properly

not sure if you can see the pad left on the hawks in the pic but the material is about as wide as my finger if not more (~3/4 left if not more)

my average driving when im in school is ~10 miles on backroads that dont require much braking unless i hit a redlight/stop sign.. ~20 miles on highway that maybe have to stop at one light.. ~10 miles in city which also doesnt require much braking because a lot of the lights are green on my way to school

anyone ever use these: http://www.tirerack....993&autoModClar=

they are slightly cheap but the reviews are quite good.. two reviews said they previously had brembo blanks and these were better.. but slightly more brake dust cry.gif

anyone use akebono? still not sure if i want to go back to hawk after that bs

not sure if you can see the pad left on the hawks in the pic but the material is about as wide as my finger if not more (~3/4 left if not more)

my average driving when im in school is ~10 miles on backroads that dont require much braking unless i hit a redlight/stop sign.. ~20 miles on highway that maybe have to stop at one light.. ~10 miles in city which also doesnt require much braking because a lot of the lights are green on my way to school

they are slightly cheap but the reviews are quite good.. two reviews said they previously had brembo blanks and these were better.. but slightly more brake dust cry.gif

yeah they're def a auto-x pad/track pad..but they're on like the cusp of the two..I DD them and don't have an issue with heat..If I'm gonna be doing some 'spirited' runs on the twisties, I'll work them a lil bit ahead of time to get some heat in them and on the first corner they're hot(the initial bite is insane!)

Also, I do mostly hwy..and I usually just engine brake to help save the pads too.

and yeah the hps pads last a long time. My old set still has a ton of life left in them. I put like 30k miles on them...However I some how managed to shear the material off the backing plate at some point in it's life on one pad.

I was looking at those rotors before I got the ATE's and had them in the cart ready to buy. but changed it up at the last second. Just wanted to try a slotted type rotor for myself..and I haven't heard anything about the akebono's. I looked into them a lil myself but that was all.

Ive been emailing with the guy from hawk

he said it looked like debris was in the middle of the pad.. it does loook like that in the picture but i dont remember anything being there or coming off.. he also asked how much life was left on the pad for idk why

Ive been emailing with the guy from hawk

he said it looked like debris was in the middle of the pad.. it does loook like that in the picture but i dont remember anything being there or coming off.. he also asked how much life was left on the pad for idk why

hmm good luck!

I just want to see what they say before I chance this bs happening again

esp. if i buy the ate rotors or what not

im thinking about trying those black rotors.. they are cheap but the reviews are so good

wtf you think that no name brand is better than Brembo? I'll tell you this, I've had rotors warp in the past, but I've had to slam on the brakes on these for various reasons and they still are not warped. Brembo is known for that. They only other brand I would consider is the NAPA stuff. http://www.napabrakes.com/wps/portal/napabrake/c1/jc4xD4IwEIbhX2R6LbRllQhtBXtEBJHFdDCGRMDB-PstTuiA5sbnvuQlLfE3uGd3dY9uHNyNNKQV5yIqEqoVAzQ8BJaXtY7LYp-l1Ptp7oHZAONpQCUcaFTzf9ZWZAaZ9Z7zGNg21FW13oEy8GN9nGrnHzUm_gODvJRSSZTf_lGHKBb9XT_5Qp_VY38h975qoDOrF244QEc!/dl2/d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfUDhQRTFIRzIwT0k1NDAyTFNWSEJTUFJLRjE!?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/affinia_websites_content_en/affinia.websites.content/Products/General/napa_brakes/Rotors/

wtf you think that no name brand is better than Brembo? I'll tell you this, I've had rotors warp in the past, but I've had to slam on the brakes on these for various reasons and they still are not warped. Brembo is known for that. They only other brand I would consider is the NAPA stuff. http://www.napabrake..._brakes/Rotors/

wtf are you talking about "no name brand is better then brembo"?

I obviously DONT think that otherwise i'd be buying brembos right now

I dont like CHEAP crap which is why i was asking about the centric.. but if they are owned/own stoptech then i cant see them being bad

wtf are you talking about "no name brand is better then brembo"?

I obviously DONT think that otherwise i'd be buying brembos right now

I dont like CHEAP crap which is why i was asking about the centric.. but if they are owned/own stoptech then i cant see them being bad

I don't think I like your tone missy.

roffle

i have had my brembos and hawk hp pads for a hair over two years now. have logged about 3000 miles on them. car sits out in the weather. haven't done any auto-x. when i do drive it I am usually raping the hell out of it - accel and braking. aside from looking rusty as all hell and the pads dragging badly until the rust cleans off they have worked excellent.

guy from hawk is blaming it on debris.. when we took them off them were clean.. we were expecting a rock or something but found nothing

pic looks like it has crap in the middle of it for some reason though.. idk if thats metal from the rotor or what

we dremled the pad down so we could put it back on for the time being since i have to drive the car.. sound still persisits.. i really think its a pad imperfection

Archived