best buy audio stero installation

Hey, just wondering if anyone knew a better place than Best Buy to have a custom cd/radio installed?

I wouldn't go to Best Buy to have ANYTHING installed. Those guys are careless when doing their installs and they charge an arm and a leg for the incompetence. Same goes with Geek Squad.

My advice to you would be to do some comparison shopping amongst the local shops or just learn how to do it yourself.

I wouldn't go to Best Buy to have ANYTHING installed. Those guys are careless when doing their installs and they charge an arm and a leg for the incompetence. Same goes with Geek Squad.

My advice to you would be to do some comparison shopping amongst the local shops or just learn how to do it yourself.

What he said. ^

Geek Squad = ROFL.

I always mess with a buddy of mine for his HT system he is building up to have the "Geek Squad" do the installation. This is a $20k system I helped him design. I did pro audio back in the 80's - lots of club touring, DJ systems, club installs, rentals, church PA, etc. He usually tells me to phuk off!!! :laugh:

Now, while I agree that MOST Best Buys have incompetent installers, I however can't agree with it 100% You need to look at some work they've done and get referrals. As most good install shops will do, they take pictures of jobs they've done and keep a portfolio on them for customers to look at. Very few BB's that I know of do it.

Cabe Sipes got his start from his garage and then on to Best Buy (the ONLY BB nationwide to have a custom install service) then went on to a TV show for audio in boats on the outdoor life channel, then to another TV show that most of us here know, Pimp my ride, for a few seasons. I know this cause I went to school w/him for 3 yrs and have been interested in how things have been going for him. Now, we're not the greatest of friends, but we are friends, he'd know my name and who I was if you asked him, but my point is, that some BB's do get a good installer from time to time. You just have to do your homework and find them. And that doesn't go for just BB, but ALL install shops.

• 3 weeks later...

As a former Geek Squad Auto Tech I have to say it's up to you. Check your local BBY's out. It's always a good idea to research out whoever you're getting to do any kind of service on your vehicle. The stores I've worked in have been given cameras in the bay to photograph the kind of work we do (boats, RV's, campers, etc.), but we never had the time to photograph the cool jobs. Always a ton of work.

If you feel like doing the deck yourself, go for it. Make sure you get the right wire harness and dash kit if needed. The only plus side to getting BBY to do the install for you, the labor is guaranteed for the life of the vehicle. That even includes taking it out if you put the factory unit back in to sell it.

It's not the hardest install in the world to do, esp with a Honda. However if you had a late '80's Cabriolet... I'd say you couldn't pay me enough to do that one again.

buy a $100+ deck from crutchfield.com and they will give you a photo manual specific to your car on how to install the stereo. they include the wiring harness and specific mounting bracket to fit the dashboard. crutchfield doesn't always have the best prices but they give you all the exact supplies you need and have good tech support if you run into problems.

Archived