CR-Z WTF

The car would probably do better all around if they just completely removed the electric motor. If I read correctly, the electric motor is only good for 10 hp. As far as the modes go, the difference between the normal and sport mode is just the sensitivity. The throttle and steering are more sensitive, and that's about it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard

...and yet you drive a Del Sol... a 2200 lb pocket rocket

both of you girls need to stop

Psh, if I was looking for a pocket rocket I wouldn't be getting it for safety features. No way would I trust my life with a 2000 lb go cart. Besides, the crx's main safety mechanism is its awesome handling! That should count for something.

Yeahhh, I understand this. I still think that the cr-z would benefit from the reduced weight and complexity. Honda has lost their true spirit. Since they started their main attribute was simplicity.

Customer demand has a lot to do with it too.

Example: When is the last time you saw a car sold without airbags? Did you even know that it is 100% 50 state legal to build, sell, buy and operate a car with no airbags provided your seat has an approved 5 point harness? But car companies don't make more money selling non-airbag cars and customers are too ignorant to know the difference.

...and yet you drive a Del Sol... a 2200 lb pocket rocket

besides the fail at quoting you also fail for not knowing anything

yes my DD is a 2500lb del sol.. it is slow AND understeers

the car that is currently being built for road course/drag/drift is a 3800lb supra

you do not need a bigger motor to go faster in a straight line.. i've seen plenty of 4 cylinders kick some v8 ass in a straight line (ex. turbo 4 cylinder beat my friends ls2 camaro)... as for to go faster everywhere else go lighter? thats not right unless you talk about a miata.. just cause a car is light doesnt mean it can handle worth a damn.. and there are plenty of heavy cars that can handle better then a miata

there are no hard and fast rules anymore.. it has more to deal with complete setup then JUST weight or motor size

you both disproved and proved his comment in the same response.

a bigger engine no longer necessarily means displacement, a 'bigger' engine really is anything capable of producing more overall HP and/or torque. a turbo 4, a SC on a v6 or a bored out v8 big block: they are all technically 'bigger'.

The other end of the comment is simple physics. If we set aside all other variables and have two matching cars, del sols if you prefer. Take one and strip every excess ounce off of it and pare it down to 1900 pounds, which is going to 0-60 faster and which is going to road course faster? answer is obvious. The lighter one. And you have spent little to no money. Do the same test again, 1900 pound b7 vs a v8 hacked into a sol. The install job makes the car now weigh 2500 pounds and cost 2k+. which one 0-60 faster? probably the v8, but that same road course the stripped sol has a fighting chance, if not the win and cost the owner nothing, and it still beats the stock sol every time too.

BUT you can't look at it that way IMO

you cant JUST say 'bigger motor = straight line' and 'lighter car=corners' doesnt make sense yes a stripped out car will be lighter then orginal but its doesnt mean it can handle better.. just means its lighter.. this stuff is not based on motor size (# of cyl.) or weight alone

saw a video sunday of a 700hp 4k lb mk4 set a ROAD COURSE track record.. which completly disagrees with 'bigger motor = straight line' and 'lighter car=corners'

and i dont agree with a turbo 4 cylinder is a 'bigger' motor.. its still a 4cyl.. yes its capable of making more power but that doesnt change the cubic inches of the motor

i wasnt trying to prove or disprove anything.. i was stating thats a stupid statement because its not true in soo many cases

it is a stereotype. glittering generality meant to cover as many possibilities as possible in one phrase.

there are always exceptions, but if you over simplify it the stereotype is true more often then not.

i think its a dumb stereo type that doesnt factor in power-weight, FWD-RWD,AWD, suspension, tires, manual/auto, etc

i think there are more exceptions then truth too... now 10-20 years ago before power adders really started getting developed then yah the bigger motor straight line was true.. with technology now a days though you cant really say that.. you have to look at the whole package (this is going by the bigger motor being # of cylinders vs hp made of course)

and IMO supension will be a better mod then weight reduction anyway... a 240sx with good suspension will out drift a stripped interior 240sx all day.. probably do better in road course and possibly drag racing also... but you can't apply that all the time either.. in the case of the crz it needs less weight and more power to not suck so bad

a while back there was this crazy article in road and track (or car and driver, idk) where they had a corvette running through all of the performance benchmarks in competition to a mitsubishi galant that had the entire body cut away. basically the car was a frame rail, drive line, all needed mechanical with a steering wheel, a seat and a roll cage just big enough for the driver. looked like a big motorized skateboard.

400+hp v8 corvette (or whatever) weighing 3000 pounds or whatever they weigh vs a 150hp 1000 something-ish pound i4 gallant hack job. the gallant blew away the vette in every catagory. it was a really simple example of what I was saying, power to weight (which is what all this straight line corning mumbo jumbo comes down to) is the primary factor in a cars ability to be fast - straight or curved. Not the only, just the primary.

"power to weight (which is what all this straight line corning mumbo jumbo comes down to) is the primary factor in a cars ability to be fast"

WRONG! Traction is the most important/primary. Can't go anywhere in your 10 lb 1,500 hp car if it doesn't hook up or has PVC for tires.

Just sayin'

400+hp v8 corvette (or whatever) weighing 3000 pounds or whatever they weigh vs a 150hp 1000 something-ish pound i4 gallant hack job. the gallant blew away the vette in every catagory. it was a really simple example of what I was saying, power to weight (which is what all this straight line corning mumbo jumbo comes down to) is the primary factor in a cars ability to be fast - straight or curved. Not the only, just the primary.

did you see the mini vs porsche race

sure they set the autocross track up to favor the mini but the mini was less then a second behind the porshce.. party because its handles amazing

my physics professor used to race a pretty much stock miata.. he won quite a bit

traction goes back to my tire/suspension comment btw

we are going in circles now

The "there's no replacement for displacement" statement is also quite old..Where a V8 is commonly referred to as an American engine..Where the engines are poorly made with piss poor tolerances..Hence why minor bolt on's can make so much power over the 4-cylinder with bolt on for bolt on. These smaller Japanese/German engines have very tight tolerances for the most part thus allowing them to yeild more power..Where as they couldn't make much in the way of power with an American 4-cylinder resulting in the old poor American concept of bigger is better..

Idk if that makes sense or I conveyed my point across correctly..I'm beat it's been a long few days..and I don't think this aspect of the conversation had been brought up yet..

Doesn't matter if you make sense or not. This is clearly a rambling bullcrap thread at this point.

My argument all along, is that when it comes to chassis and drive train that lighter weight trumps power output when talking about the 'complete' performance of a car. My thought is that if you have a generic 3000 pound car with 150 hp, you would stand to gain better all around perfomance by dropping 500 pounds vs adding 50hp. And dropping weight usually costs less than adding power.

huge difference in car design too. Supra was designed to attain and be safer at those speeds. Del Sol was never intended to be operated outside normal highway speeds. People run them higher, but the engineering that went into it wasn't for racing.

I'd take my kia, tbh. Supras are horribly overpriced, or at least the only ones I would buy are. I've grown to REALLY like my forte as a daily, and if I were to build a project, it wouldn't be a supra.

Archived