work shop

nosaj81_2000

hey everyone me and christy were thinking about opening a car shop somewhere on the east cost if i can ever get transfered there. besides having bodykits and exhaust stuff. as well as having some engine stuff in the shope what all else should go in to it. christy and i were planning on having a couple of bays for doing engine and body work and a bay or two for auto detailing. what is your opinion.

well for starters, you can decorate your store first. see if you have any friends that have parts for sell that you can display for them. what my friend has is a glass display that holds air intakes and filter, lens, tail lights, bulbs, air freshner... auto detailing would be nice.. it isn't that stressful. do you have a mechanic?

First of all for a showroom, black and white tile floors have a real appeal for some reason. Here's a setup of how I have stuff in mine.

Along the walls are different stands...

1 has different intakes on it

1 has different mufflers on it

1 has different cat-backs on it

1 has two turbos an intercooler some piping and a couple bov's on it.

1 has different turbo timers and boost controllers on it

1 has different Nitrous systems on it

1 has different internal parts on it

Along the side wall I have different styles and sizes of rims hanging on the walls.

I have a couple of isles of litttle misc. stuff like brather filters, stickers, crap like that.

Up front is a wrap around desk where the computers and all the catalogs and other things I need are.

In the middle of it all is my Civic.

Of course you have to have the flags and banners of company's you sell.

________________________________________________________________________________

______

In the back is one big open shop. There's a main desk area and all the rest is divided into bay like areas. Each area has a tool chest with everything you could ever think of needing. Each area is sanctioned for something. One is to tear motors apart and build them up, one are is for basic bolt on turbo kits, headers and such, another is for the installing of body kits, and aero parts, one is for mounting and balancing wheels and tires, one is for electronics installation, and the last bay is for detailing and basic washes after installs.

As far as painting goes there's a whole seperate building out back that the car gets pulled into. Prepped in one area, pulled up to the next, closed off and painted in the next, then pulled up and finished in the next.

________________________________________________________________________________

______

As far as the money for starting a shop, you have to search long and hard, or know somebaody that can find one for you but the gov't will give you almost everything you need to start your business. Especially in today's economy, they want more small business.

Go to your local Staples and sign up for small business rewards. You earn money back for anything you buy there. They have some cool office crap too.

You'll need a tax id number. Search the internet you can find out how to get one for free. Don't let people fool you though, getting credit cards in the business name isn't easy if you have bad credit. Since your tax id number is linked with your Soc. Sec. number and places look at your credit as well.

That was a basic rundown, you need anything in detail let me know.....

joecollins2 Posted on Sep 18 2003, 10:34 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all for a showroom, black and white tile floors have a real appeal for some reason. Here's a setup of how I have stuff in mine.

Along the walls are different stands...

1 has different intakes on it

1 has different mufflers on it

1 has different cat-backs on it

1 has two turbos an intercooler some piping and a couple bov's on it.

1 has different turbo timers and boost controllers on it

1 has different Nitrous systems on it

1 has different internal parts on it

Along the side wall I have different styles and sizes of rims hanging on the walls.

I have a couple of isles of litttle misc. stuff like brather filters, stickers, crap like that.

Up front is a wrap around desk where the computers and all the catalogs and other things I need are.

In the middle of it all is my Civic.

Of course you have to have the flags and banners of company's you sell.

______

In the back is one big open shop. There's a main desk area and all the rest is divided into bay like areas. Each area has a tool chest with everything you could ever think of needing. Each area is sanctioned for something. One is to tear motors apart and build them up, one are is for basic bolt on turbo kits, headers and such, another is for the installing of body kits, and aero parts, one is for mounting and balancing wheels and tires, one is for electronics installation, and the last bay is for detailing and basic washes after installs.

As far as painting goes there's a whole seperate building out back that the car gets pulled into. Prepped in one area, pulled up to the next, closed off and painted in the next, then pulled up and finished in the next.

______

As far as the money for starting a shop, you have to search long and hard, or know somebaody that can find one for you but the gov't will give you almost everything you need to start your business. Especially in today's economy, they want more small business.

Go to your local Staples and sign up for small business rewards. You earn money back for anything you buy there. They have some cool office crap too.

You'll need a tax id number. Search the internet you can find out how to get one for free. Don't let people fool you though, getting credit cards in the business name isn't easy if you have bad credit. Since your tax id number is linked with your Soc. Sec. number and places look at your credit as well.

That was a basic rundown, you need anything in detail let me know..... 

Hey, What did you end up calling your shop? What town is it in? Is it in Indiana somewhere?

hey everyone me and christy were thinking about opening a car shop somewhere on the east cost if i can ever get transfered there. besides having bodykits and exhaust stuff. as well as having some engine stuff in the shope what all else should go in to it. christy and i were planning on having a couple of bays for doing engine and body work and a bay or two for auto detailing. what is your opinion.

With your lack of knowledge, it won't last long. Just being honest. Why would someone pay you to install taillights and mufflers when they can do it for free?

With your lack of knowledge, it won't last long. Just being honest. Why would someone pay you to install taillights and mufflers when they can do it for free?

ssr...honesty is good....he has more knowledge than you think...and some people would pay to get it done.....quality of work is wahts important....we did work at a shop like what we want to do....it also going to be a detailing buisness...which is where i come in...but where we are at now people do pay to put that stuff in..got to remember some people dont know how to...

as soon as christy gets my list of parts for my car here on the forum everyone will be able to see what i want to do with my car. the only thing that wont be posted are the wheels and tires cuz im still not sure what i want to put on the car. all i know is that i dont want wheels that everyone has cuz then that would be like following the ricer bandwagon if you people know what im talking about.

Hey you would be surprised what people want done because they can't figure it out for themselves. I had a guy come in one time and pay $40 just to hide and hardwire the wire for his radar detector!!! Some people are dumber than you think.

BTW: It's Driven Image in La Porte, IN

thats cool.. the import stores here in cali are small.. they just pack like 40 front body kits on left and right on walls, then they got many assories(sp?)then they got hella other books,zines for you to pic out your kit, intake,header,exhaust,turbo,etc..

plain and simple

as soon as christy gets my list of parts for my car here on the forum everyone will be able to see what i want to do with my car. the only thing that wont be posted are the wheels and tires cuz im still not sure what i want to put on the car. all i know is that i dont want wheels that everyone has cuz then that would be like following the ricer bandwagon if you people know what im talking about.

The list you posted is "following the ricer bandwagon."

First off would be to acquire a business license/certificate, with that a name.

Then I'd worry about locating distributors, and loans if you can.

Then, I'd worry about getting insurance.

Then, lastly, I'd worry about actually acquiring a building, paying the rent/mortgage/sale and the rest of the bills, and THEN decorating it.

You'll need a business plan to be able to get a loan from a bank, venture capitalist, or angel investor.

You'll want insurance before you get any parts shipped.

Most companies require pictures of your place of business, a list of who works there and their experience with that type of work, how long you've been in business, your revenue for the past xxx years, etc.

If you want to build good engines and tune them for free, you'll need a dynomometer. For that you'll need a computer, to tune you'll need to knowledge of how engines operate and what and when they need fuel, air, and timing increase or decrease.

To build an engine you'll need a wide assortment of tools, a few being vernier calipers, micrometers, various honers, etc.

You'll need connections with a machine shop unless you want to invest a good amount of money in the tools required to clean and balance parts.

You'll need very good advertising (wheter it be very public or limited to a certain niche) to stay competitive.

Unless you're a riceboy shop, you had better be in it for the love, you will not make very much money.

You'll need a business plan to be able to get a loan from a bank, venture capitalist, or angel investor.

You'll want insurance before you get any parts shipped.

Most companies require pictures of your place of business, a list of who works there and their experience with that type of work, how long you've been in business, your revenue for the past xxx years, etc.

If you want to build good engines and tune them for free, you'll need a dynomometer. For that you'll need a computer, to tune you'll need to knowledge of how engines operate and what and when they need fuel, air, and timing increase or decrease.

To build an engine you'll need a wide assortment of tools, a few being vernier calipers, micrometers, various honers, etc.

You'll need connections with a machine shop unless you want to invest a good amount of money in the tools required to clean and balance parts.

You'll need very good advertising (wheter it be very public or limited to a certain niche) to stay competitive.

Unless you're a riceboy shop, you had better be in it for the love, you will not make very much money.

Most companies also require a copy of an advertisement.

And no, you won't make very much money. If you're smart, all of the money made will be invested right back into the business, so don't plan on making profit for a long time. :crazy:

Where the hell have you guys heard what companies require. The most I've ever had to send somebody was a copy of a voided check with my business name and addy on it along with a business card.

As far as insurance goes. I got mine after I got the building that I'm in now and started doing crap to it. Otherwise like my agent told me you don't really know what you're getting and it's hard for them to insure a place that you don't even have yet, and that you don't know the value of yet or what levels of insurance you're going to need. As far as loans I don't really know about all that crap.

I got one Federal Grant and used some money from rolled over CD (Certificate of Deposit) that I had in the bank to get a use for whatever that grant didn't cover. Then I just do little crap here and there since all the major projects are done and my shop's done.

Don't even worry about a frackin dyno!!! They're very expensive. I don't have one. It's about the only thing that I don't yet have. Seriously, an all wheel drive dyno, yeah that's a cool million bucks for the whole system, computers and all!!!!

Just tell all your friends about it. They'll tell their friends and they'll tell their friends. I don't have a published site on the net yet, nor do I really advertise and trust me, I make plenty of money. The thing is that you have to build a good reputation from DAY 1!!! From the first day you open show people you sell quality crap and you have to know what you're talking about. You also have to be able to back up everything you say!!! Always have proof of everything you tell a customer so when they say they don't believe something you can show it in writing. It won't make you look as dumb!

Sell quality products and people will know you for that. Don't rip people off or nobody will come. Offer good prices but enough that you make money too. If you sell stupid ricer crap people are just going to go to Autozone or Advance. Sell crap that you can't get there. Tenzo-R, GReddy, HKS, Skunk2, Toda, etc.....

Do not by any means rice your shop out, act like a fcuk or rip people off.

Before I started my store a guy I knew started one. He's now out of business. He did everyhting wrong and I knew that before I started myself up. He:

1. Acted like he knoew everything only to give wrong facts often.

2. Sold cheap crap. You couldn't go there and get real name, quality performance adding power.

3.Charged way too much for what he sold.

Do a good job man. You might think that just because you don't ssee Fast and Furious cars everywhere that people aren't in to big power. I know people now that I've seen driving before and I never knew that they had thousands into their motor, cause they don't hot rod around or try to street race people all over and don't put stickers all over their cars. Sell quality crap and you'll get more customers than you'd think. However the trick is to be different than everyone else and be a little better than everyone else. Go one step farther than everyone else in everything you do and your customers will see that and put their faith and trust in you and be your biggest money makers!!!!

Good companies and distributers require lots of information in order for you to carry their products.

A dyno can be had for $20,000 new.

An AWD dyno is $66,000 and the only thing you need is a computer ($3,000).

hubby cant access the site where he is at so i relay stuff he wants to keep up on..

tell super street rx7 that im not trying to follow the ricer bandwagon

by

have that parts list. some people would rather have the cars built up

to not

only look fat but be able to back up the looks of the vehicle by being

able

to go fast as well. oh yeah and also tell him not to respond if he isnt

going to give and input on opening a shop becuase everyone else who has

respondedto this idea has had something to say about the shop idea but

SSR.

thank him for the dyno prices though.

let buddysol know that the accounting class and the schooling for what

i

wanting to open this shop is already in the works as well as getting

all the

ASE certifications for all areas that you get tested on to become a

master

mechanic.

also let everyone esle know that we tahnk them for all their help and

keep

the ideas coming the more the better.

1. I've posted more help than everyone other than Joe and Civicracinggirl.

2. His car won't look good, it will look stupid.

3. Your husband has a LONG way to go before he will be able to successfully run a shop.

:D

And guess waht...i not going to get into with you but...thats your opinion....and opinion counts..but if thats waht he wants to be done so be it.. everyone does what they want to do to there car.....you cant go and doubt people....you just never know...if he wants it rice then thats up to him...

BAck to topic

We been looking at buisness loans and everything..consulting people that have shops and waht not..it might be a long process but it will work out in the end... Especially if u get the right area and everything...it all about location location location...I going to be doing some photshop ideas for a shop..if anyone wants to contribute they may...

A dyno can be had for $20,000 new.

An AWD dyno is $66,000 and the only thing you need is a computer ($3,000).

:laugh:

Call Mastro Subaru in Tampa and ask them how much they paid for an AWD dynapack..... Required computers, programs and all.....

I got a catalog, sales info, and some "paperwork" from DynoJet last week. Their AWD dyno only requires a PC and cost $66,000.

Archived