B16A Puzzle time

ok as you all know ive already got my b16a build on the way. but i feel like im lost in a maze. i know there are some things i still need, so i picked up a Chiltons manual on the 84-95 civic/crx/del sol. but they dont really refer to the b16 motors. so i had some questions.

1) does the b16a(jdm) motor use the same torque specifications as the b16a3?(i am pretty sure it does)

2) do i need to upgrade my civic fuel pump to a bigger one?

3) can i use stock gsr suspension (coilovers) on my hatch? i found a set for $100

4) the fun part....What am i still needing for internals/external sensors on the block?

INTERNALS

so far i HAVE:

B16A block w/ main caps and bolts

B16A crank

Pr3 Rods and bolts

P30 Pistons(already connected)

Hastings Piston Rings

B16a oil pan and bolts

Rear Main Seal

Oil pickup

magnetic oil drain plug

I STILL NEED (INTERNALS)

rod bearings

main bearings

thrust washers

all gaskets

EXTERIOR OF BLOCK

I HAVE:

positive crankcase ventilation box

knock sensor

harmonic balancer bolt

what i believe is the gear for the crank(i still need the keyway)

STILL NEED FOR EXTERNAL:

timing belt cover

Harmonic Balancer

oil pump

water pump

timing belt

all gaskets

all hoses

here are some pics for you all.

000_1829.jpg

000_1833.jpg

so what else do i need? i know im forgetting a lot, but the manual wont go into enough detail for me to find out. any help will be very appreciated.

on a side note, i dont think the shift linkage is supposed to be bent like this with that many washers.....

000_1834.jpg

ok as you all know ive already got my b16a build on the way. but i feel like im lost in a maze. i know there are some things i still need, so i picked up a Chiltons manual on the 84-95 civic/crx/del sol. but they dont really refer to the b16 motors. so i had some questions.

1) does the b16a(jdm) motor use the same torque specifications as the b16a3?(i am pretty sure it does)

2) do i need to upgrade my civic fuel pump to a bigger one?

3) can i use stock gsr suspension (coilovers) on my hatch? i found a set for $100

4) the fun part....What am i still needing for internals/external sensors on the block?

1) we used the same toque specs for the z6 on the zc and it runs great so i'd say yes

2) unless you upgrading your whole fuel system on the b you shouldnt another fuel pump... i cant see it not being able to handle a pretty stock b like you want.. if you have that big of concern quit bein lazy and get on an auto site and look up your cars fuel pump and then a fuel pump for a car with the b16 in it and compare

just looked at advance.. the denso fuel pump for a d16z6 vs a b16 out of a 97 del vtec(dont know how diff. the b's are and idc) are the SAME thing.. the stock one has the same pic but the part number is diff. but it says its the same for s, si, and vtec model so i think they are just charging more.. if it works for a y8 im sure it would work for a z6

3) idk

4) i dont feel like thinking that much right now

only time will tell man once you start putting that beast together you realize whats missing. Nice right now i got two lsv builds, one is gonna be mine and the other gonna be my buddys but ill start a thread as soon i get everything from the shop and everything from the dealer i ordered.

yeha i know. but i feel like im forgetting something. and i dont understand why my main caps dont match what is in the manual. the manual shows a solid one piece cap and i have 5 different ones.

i guess this is what i get for buying a bare block lol. should have bought at least a short block.

• 3 weeks later...

the only B series engines that have a girdle are C. b18c engines. b18/20b , b16's have 5 seperate caps. they are numbered. 1-5. they install with arrows pointing at timing end of engine , 1 closest to timing end.

throw that chiltons/haynes manual away , cause they are junk.

go to www.hondahookup.com , register , download the real service manual for your car.

any questions pal let me know

the only B series engines that have a girdle are C. b18c engines. b18/20b , b16's have 5 seperate caps. they are numbered. 1-5. they install with arrows pointing at timing end of engine , 1 closest to timing end.

throw that chiltons/haynes manual away , cause they are junk.

go to www.hondahookup.com , register , download the real service manual for your car.

any questions pal let me know

ok the mains are taken care of then. i just wasnt sure of what was what lol.

well i have a chiltons. its the second one i have had to get. the haynes for my car is great.

i just registered and am looking through that manual thread now lol. thanks cranman. ill pm you if i have any questions that cant seem to be answered here

i TOTALLY agree with cranny about getting rid of the haynes/chitlons manuals. hondahookup is awesome. also try majestic honda, they have detailed pics of the motors so that might help you out as well. just google majestic honda if you havent been to it before. cant wait to see this build

Archived