My new ride.

So I just got the word today, and I will indeed be inheriting my grandfathers car. It's a 1968 MGB-GT. 1.8L, RWD, 5spd, has an electrical overdrive for 4th & 5th gears..like a paddle shifter, and single lugged spoke wheels..and of course its in the traditional British Racing Green with minimal rust.

few pix.

31401_10150190499040615_679770614_12356249_6324818_n.jpg

31401_10150190498895615_679770614_12356246_2287166_n.jpg

31401_10150190498725615_679770614_12356243_5206387_n.jpg

31401_10150190498175615_679770614_12356241_1295691_n.jpg

I should have some better shots of the car once my cousin emails them to me..They were taken with a D60..That including engine bay shots.

Oh and yes it does have aprx. 20 years of dust on it.

you going to restore it or sell it? i have to be honest ive never seen one of these before lol

Oh restore it for sure! I love this car. Never rode in it but it'd be a ball. Plus I've only ever seen like 4 in my life total.

It's one of those, "it ran when parked in the barn" kinda deals. What I do know is that the transmission shift fork has popped off because someone tried to put in reverse with out pushing down on the shifter..Kinda like a 'R' lock out...Rebuild the engine because well the gaskets are 40-years old, go over the electrical for cuts/mouse bites, replace carpet, get rid of all the asbestos insulation(that was turned into mice nests), and pour a bunch of laquer thinner in the fuel tank since its shellacked.

Basically thats the big stuff, but it'll really need a ground up restoration since it's sat so long. Nice thing is i've got a spare trans, webber side-draft carburetors, and repair manuals.

However one thing that blows about these cars is the Lucas wiring. They utilized a positive earth..So electricity flows through the frame to the engine, etc. basically it sucks.

And no worries on my gramps. It sux and all that, but he had extremely bad emphazima(basically drowned) so we all were expecting it..

Oh restore it for sure! I love this car. Never rode in it but it'd be a ball. Plus I've only ever seen like 4 in my life total.

It's one of those, "it ran when parked in the barn" kinda deals. What I do know is that the transmission shift fork has popped off because someone tried to put in reverse with out pushing down on the shifter..Kinda like a 'R' lock out...Rebuild the engine because well the gaskets are 40-years old, go over the electrical for cuts/mouse bites, replace carpet, get rid of all the asbestos insulation(that was turned into mice nests), and pour a bunch of laquer thinner in the fuel tank since its shellacked.

Basically thats the big stuff, but it'll really need a ground up restoration since it's sat so long. Nice thing is i've got a spare trans, webber side-draft carburetors, and repair manuals.

However one thing that blows about these cars is the Lucas wiring. They utilized a positive earth..So electricity flows through the frame to the engine, etc. basically it sucks.

And no worries on my gramps. It sux and all that, but he had extremely bad emphazima(basically drowned) so we all were expecting it..

nice.. i actually googled it and they look pretty dam good... im sure its gonna take you some time to finish it but it will be fun and a great car in the end

and yeah my grandpa passed last year.... he had cancer and we were all expecting it at the end as well, it sucks but at the same time its a bit of relief... when you see a 200 pound man shrink down to 130 pounds.... youd rather see him not suffer anymore..

best of luck man, sorry ot hear about your gramps tho, i lost both of mine. One of them was from cancer/diabetes and the other one was from cancer/alchaholism. Lost both of them a little over 10 years ago.

But that MG will be nice when your done with it, well.... not that you will ever be done with it (MGs are one of THOSE, projects that never end, but, it will be a good in memorium of your grandpa.

Its such a great car.I am sorry about your grandfather.But this car is really a wonderful piece.And i think you should restore it,as its your grandfathers car.Well do some dusting on it and clean it.Its got lots of dust.Congrats that you got a amazing car.Take care of it.

yeah I'm torn between keeping it stock'ish and adding the super charger..Or put an s2k engine in it for reliability..It was parked because the roads are too bumpy to keep those webers tuned for any length of time.

I say stock, that MG has none of its original soul in it. If anything i would look into doing a SPFI or MPFI set up on the existing motor to help out with reliability, but thats about all I would do.

Yeah, it's a thought, but I'll be keeping it stock for the most part. Brakes will be upgraded immensely, the wheels have to be changed because the spokers will get ruined..They'll go back on for meets though all polished up...And I may try to make some sort of intake scoop behind the grill..since the rad firewall is mostly solid..

I'd love to get rid of the carbs..I'm sure moss motor's has some sort of set-up for that, so just another thing for me to look into and spend bank on haha.

so any updates on this bad boy?

There won't be for a bit...We're still cleaning out the barn..We got one side done and it's gonna be a great garage! Well anything is great but yeah I stoked...Next we have to clean out the side of the barn where the MG sits..So we'll be pulling it out in like 2-weeks so it can see sunlight for the first time in 20-years..Of course pix will be taken..

But if noticed in the latest purchase thread, I've got a new del sol to put all the parts on from mine vice-versa. Then the black one is sold..I've also got 3-honda motorcycles that I have to get up and running..So the Mg will slightly be on the back burner for a bit.

I used to have a customer that had one in that exact green, in mint condition. He said it was a blast to drive.

That's exactly what I keep getting told from everyone. So If all goes well I can maybe/hopefully tear into it in 2 or so months.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived