0420 Error Code

Killtodie

Alright, here is my story:

A year ago I was parking over rough snow and ripped out my O2 sensor out of the cat. I replaced it a month later.

A week after I got a 0420 error code. I had my car diagnosed, had temp readings down at the cat, mechanic told me I need to replace my cat.

I rode on in for about a year before I decided to replace it.

First, I removed my cat and gutted it. It was clogged. I put its hollow shell back in place and to my surprise my engine check code went away. Rode for about a week until I got my new cat in the mail, put it in, the next day getting a 0420 code again.

Now, 0420 could mean:

bad A/F ratio

Vacuum leak through O2 sensor plug

Faulty cat

There is another possible error that I cant remember.

Anyway, I will jack up my car as soon as it cools down and check on the tightness of the two O2 sensors, but if that's not it, what could it be?

pretty sure 0420 means you smoked to much weed and your pipes clogged w/ resin. j/k. iono jack about this sh!t i just post to amuse myself.

welcome to hf new guy.

I just replaced the downpipe seal ring and re-tightened the O2, I will see if that error code clears.

I also heard that I probably should reset my OBDII, how can I do so without tripping the battery?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you cheap out and get a POS universal fit O2?? If it says Bosch throw that POS in trash where it belongs!

I bought an OEM O2 sensor, its just over a year old and it spent its life inside a clogged/bad cat.

Funny thing is, when I drove with a gutted cat for a week, the light stayed off the entire time. Now its back on with a new, functional cat.

I cant afford to buy a new sensor, damn things are expensive, im tight on money right now. Now junkyards in the area have a civic in and ebay aint much cheaper for a new/used sensor.

How can I test if the thing works?

What does it mean that it didnt get errors with a gutted cat but does with a new cat?

I bought an OEM O2 sensor, its just over a year old and it spent its life inside a clogged/bad cat.

Funny thing is, when I drove with a gutted cat for a week, the light stayed off the entire time. Now its back on with a new, functional cat.

I cant afford to buy a new sensor, damn things are expensive, im tight on money right now. Now junkyards in the area have a civic in and ebay aint much cheaper for a new/used sensor.

How can I test if the thing works?

What does it mean that it didnt get errors with a gutted cat but does with a new cat?

How much you pay for new O2? I have a great place I get the Denso's from online.

Damn, that's almost half price. And I thought Majestic was super low.

Gah, I guess I'll buy it

Well wait no guarantee that is problem. I was just giving you the best site I had found for them.

I hope it's part of it. if its not, I have no freakin clue then. The Magnaflow cat is identical in contruction and size to my stock cat.

Goddamn emissions. I hate that crap. Waste of money. I need to turn my quest into a daily driver. Straight exhaust, no cat, no muffler, no pre-muffler, $20 O2 sensor.

This damn Civic has another O2 sensor that's in the header exhaust that could be bad too. Stupid ODBII wont specify which sensor if any are bad.

Stupid ODBII wont specify which sensor if any are bad.

It should. When I had my s10 it had 1 go bad. There was a total of 4 on it. Code reader told me the code as well as "bank 1 sensor 1". < that is which one is bad. Just gotta know what your looking at.

Archived